RailRiders grab multiple leads in extra innings, fall to Stripers in 11 innings
LAWRENCEVILLE, GA - The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders grabbed a lead in the top of the 10th and top of the 11th innings, but rallies by the Gwinnett Stripers in both innings proved to be too much for the RailRiders to hang on for a win Saturday night.
SWB got a scoreless first inning on 10 pitches from RHP Ben Heller, who was making his first appearance in a game in over a month. He retired the side in order before handing the ball off to Deivi Garcia, who turned in 5.0 hitless innings. While the RailRiders were getting strong pitching from those arms, the bats- led by veteran catcher Erik Kratz- were busy putting runs on the board.
He cracked a solo homer in the top of the 4th inning to get the scoring started, then capped a three-run frame in the 6th inning by belting a two-run homer 402 feet to left-centerfield to put the RailRiders ahead, 4-1.
Gwinnett tied the game with three runs in the bottom of the 7th inning and the game ultimately moved into extra innings tied 4-4. The top of the 10th inning featured the pace-of-play runner, Billy Burns, stealing third base and popping up and scoring as the throw by Alex Jackson was errant and got away from Johan Camargo. This gave the RailRiders a 5-4 lead, but the Stripers tied it and sent the game to the 11th inning with a bases-loaded walk.
Ryan McBroom turned on an A.J. Minter offering and deposited his 21st homer of the season over the wall in left field to give the RailRiders a two-run cushion in the top of the inning, but Gwinnett mounted its comeback trailing 7-5 entering the bottom of the inning. Five of the six men who came to the plate reached base, culminating in a walk-off walk to Andres Blanco as the 9,001 fans at Coolray Field celebrated a victory by the Stripers.
With a win by the Buffalo Bisons and a doubleheader sweep by the Syracuse Mets, the update International League North Division standings is Scranton/Wilkes-Barre holding a 1.0-game lead on the Bisons, with Syracuse 2.0 games back and the Rochester Red Wings 3.0 games back of first place with 16 games remaining in the regular season.
The RailRiders conclude their six-game roadtrip Sunday afternoon at Coolray Field. RHP Adonis Rosa (4-0, 3.45) takes the ball for the RailRiders against Gwinnett's RHP Patrick Weigel (6-1, 2.91) as the RailRiders look to avoid being swept in a fourth consecutive road series. Pregame coverage with Adam Giardino begins at 12:35 p.m. on the RailRiders Radio Network before a scheduled 1:05 p.m. first pitch.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 17, 2019
- RailRiders grab multiple leads in extra innings, fall to Stripers in 11 innings - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Knights Split Twin Bill with Clippers - Charlotte Knights
- Mets Sweep Saturday Doubleheader against Norfolk - Syracuse Mets
- Stripers Edge Scranton in Extras on Blanco's Walk-Off Walk - Gwinnett Stripers
- Toledo Tops Pawtucket on Rainy Saturday Night - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wings Fall in Extras, 2-1, Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Home Runs Propel Mud Hens to Victory - Toledo Mud Hens
- IronPigs match season-best four wins in a row - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Ramirez Strong But 'Pigs Top Indians, 3-2 - Indianapolis Indians
- Bats Win Pitchers' Duel in Extras, 2-1 - Louisville Bats
- Burns Homers Twice as Bisons Win Again, 9-2 - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (60-63) vs. Lehigh Valley IronPigs (59-63) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Rochester Red Wings (62-61) at Louisville Bats (52-71) - Louisville Bats
- Heller Rejoins RailRiders on MLB Rehab Assignment - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Durham (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Wings Back Monday for Four Straight First Ever Food Week - Rochester Red Wings
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- IronPigs Take Two in Indianapolis - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Tribe Fall Flat as IronPigs Sweep Doubleheader - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- SWB RailRiders Media Advisory- Emergency Food Drive-Thru Giveaway on May 27 at PNC Field
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre participating in MiLB CommUNITY First Campaign
- RailRiders Join the Show with IL Clubs
- READing RailRoad Returns
- RailRiders Front Office Is Temporarily Closed