Tribe Fall Flat as IronPigs Sweep Doubleheader
INDIANAPOLIS - Two four-run frames propelled Lehigh Valley to 8-4 and 7-2 wins over Indianapolis on Friday night at Victory Field. The Tribe offense scored in only two of the 15 innings and totaled 11 hits on the night to drop three games below .500, their lowest mark of the season.
Lehigh Valley (59-63) overcame an early 4-2 deficit in the first contest, scoring the final six runs of the game to win in eight innings.
The Tribe (60-63) began the night with a four-run frame of their own. After the visitors plated two in the top of the first, Jake Elmore reached base on an error to begin Indy's first at-bat and four hits from the next five batters, including a two-RBI double by Will Craig, put the Indians up 4-2.
A second two-run frame by the IronPigs tied up the game in the fourth and set up a standstill moving into the bullpens. In the top of the eighth, Dovydas Neverauskas (L, 3-3) surrendered four hits and two walks to give Lehigh Valley an 8-4 lead.
The offensive production for the Tribe began and ended in the first inning. Through their final seven offensive half innings in game one, they tallied just one hit and seven total baserunners. With the automatic runner on second to begin the bottom of the eighth, the lineup went down in order to end the game.
Connor Brogdon (W, 2-1) struck out three over 1.2 innings and held the Tribe hitless to set up the IronPigs' tiebreaking eighth.
Lehigh Valley, playing as the home team in game two, took a 2-0 lead again with a costly three-base fielding error by Trayvon Robinson extending what would have been a scoreless inning.
A long double by Phil Gosselin off the top of the right field wall opened the bottom of the third for the IronPigs. Three consecutive home runs by Deivy Grullon, Andrew Romine and Austin Listi in the heart of the order capped a four-run inning to extend the lead beyond the reach of the Indians.
With two-outs in the fifth, Jake Elmore roped his 30th double of the season to drive in a run for the Tribe's third hit of the game. Mitchell Tolman followed with a single for his first Triple-A hit and RBI, cutting the deficit to 6-2.
Jose Pirela hit his second home run with Lehigh Valley in the sixth inning to tack on an insurance run before Indy's final offensive chance.
Kyle Dohy (W, 6-5) tossed 2.1 scoreless innings in relief of Jose Taveras to earn the win. Cody Ponce (L, 0-1), making his Triple-A debut, was charged with six runs (four earned) on seven hits in four innings pitched. He struck out five.
The Indians and IronPigs continue their four-game set on Saturday with a 7:05 p.m. ET start. Yefry Ramirez (2-4, 4.41) takes the mound for his first start since June 28 against Ramon Rosso (1-2, 4.91).
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 17, 2019
- RailRiders grab multiple leads in extra innings, fall to Stripers in 11 innings - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Knights Split Twin Bill with Clippers - Charlotte Knights
- Mets Sweep Saturday Doubleheader against Norfolk - Syracuse Mets
- Stripers Edge Scranton in Extras on Blanco's Walk-Off Walk - Gwinnett Stripers
- Toledo Tops Pawtucket on Rainy Saturday Night - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wings Fall in Extras, 2-1, Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Home Runs Propel Mud Hens to Victory - Toledo Mud Hens
- IronPigs match season-best four wins in a row - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Ramirez Strong But 'Pigs Top Indians, 3-2 - Indianapolis Indians
- Bats Win Pitchers' Duel in Extras, 2-1 - Louisville Bats
- Burns Homers Twice as Bisons Win Again, 9-2 - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (60-63) vs. Lehigh Valley IronPigs (59-63) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Rochester Red Wings (62-61) at Louisville Bats (52-71) - Louisville Bats
- Heller Rejoins RailRiders on MLB Rehab Assignment - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Durham (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Wings Back Monday for Four Straight First Ever Food Week - Rochester Red Wings
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- IronPigs Take Two in Indianapolis - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Tribe Fall Flat as IronPigs Sweep Doubleheader - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- Best Pitching Performance, No. 5: James Marvel-Ed in Triple-A Debut
- Indianapolis Indians 2019 Season in Review
- Hayes, Craig Selected as 2019 Rawlings Gold Glove Award Winners
- Rowdie's Pumpkin Patch Coming to Victory Field
- Indianapolis Indians Announce New Hires