Stripers Edge Scranton in Extras on Blanco's Walk-Off Walk
LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. - Andres Blanco walked with the bases loaded to give the Gwinnett Stripers (72-51) an 8-7 walk-off win over the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (65-59) in 11 innings on Saturday night in front of a season-high 9,001 fans at Coolray Field. With their fourth walk-off win of the season, the Stripers raised their lead in the International League South Division to 4.5 games over both Durham (68-56) and Charlotte (68-56).
Scoring Recap: Down 1-0 in the bottom of the fourth, Pedro Florimon scored from second on a sacrifice fly by Lucas Duda to tie the game at 1-1. Trailing 4-1 in the sixth, Blanco (18) ended a combined no-hitter with a 381-foot solo homer off David Hernandez to cut the deficit to 4-2. Later in the sixth, an RBI ground out by Jack Lopez and two-out RBI single by Johan Camargo tied it at 4-4. Still tied in the top of the 10th, Billy Burns came in to score on a throwing error by catcher Alex Jackson to make it 5-4 RailRiders. Blanco walked with the bases loaded to tie it at 5-5 in the bottom of the 10th. In the top of the 11th, Ryan McBroom (21) hit a 386-foot two-run homer off A.J. Minter to give Scranton a 7-5 lead. In the bottom of the 11th, an RBI double by Camargo, game-tying RBI single by Florimon, and a second bases-loaded walk by Blanco gave Gwinnett the 8-7 win.
Stripers Stats: Blanco went 1-for-2 with a homer, three RBIs, and four walks. Camargo was 2-for-5 with a double and two RBIs. Starting pitcher Ian Anderson struck out seven in 7.0 innings and yielded four runs on five hits in a no-decision. Minter (W, 1-1) pitched 2.0 innings with three runs (1 ER) and four strikeouts.
RailRiders Stats: Following 1.0 perfect inning from rehabbing starter Ben Heller, Deivi Garcia struck out seven in 5.0 hitless innings. Brady Lail (L, 1-1) pitched a third of an inning and gave up three runs (2 ER) on three hits. Erik Kratz was 2-for-4 with two homers and three RBIs, and McBroom went 1-for-5 with a homer and two RBIs.
Quote: "I knew I had to put the ball in play," Blanco said. "I got a good pitch but I fouled it off. I just took the rest of the pitches and got the job done."
Postgame Notes: Ryan LaMarre went 2-for-6 to extend his on-base streak to 26 games. The Stripers drew a season-high 11 walks, including four from Blanco, the most by a Gwinnett player this season.
Next Game (Sunday, August 18): Gwinnett vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, 1:05 p.m. at Coolray Field. RHP Patrick Weigel (6-2, 2.63 ERA) for the Stripers vs. RHP Adonis Rosa (4-0, 3.45 ERA) for the RailRiders. Radio Broadcast: 12:50 p.m. on 97.7 and 93.5 FM "The Other Side of the River."
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 17, 2019
- RailRiders grab multiple leads in extra innings, fall to Stripers in 11 innings - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Knights Split Twin Bill with Clippers - Charlotte Knights
- Mets Sweep Saturday Doubleheader against Norfolk - Syracuse Mets
- Stripers Edge Scranton in Extras on Blanco's Walk-Off Walk - Gwinnett Stripers
- Toledo Tops Pawtucket on Rainy Saturday Night - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wings Fall in Extras, 2-1, Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Home Runs Propel Mud Hens to Victory - Toledo Mud Hens
- IronPigs match season-best four wins in a row - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Ramirez Strong But 'Pigs Top Indians, 3-2 - Indianapolis Indians
- Bats Win Pitchers' Duel in Extras, 2-1 - Louisville Bats
- Burns Homers Twice as Bisons Win Again, 9-2 - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (60-63) vs. Lehigh Valley IronPigs (59-63) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Rochester Red Wings (62-61) at Louisville Bats (52-71) - Louisville Bats
- Heller Rejoins RailRiders on MLB Rehab Assignment - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Durham (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Wings Back Monday for Four Straight First Ever Food Week - Rochester Red Wings
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- IronPigs Take Two in Indianapolis - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Tribe Fall Flat as IronPigs Sweep Doubleheader - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gwinnett Stripers Stories
- Stripers "Veterans Pack" Returns for Veterans Day
- Chris Young to Play Coolray Field's First-Ever Socially-Distant Concert on November 14
- Gwinnett Stripers' Coolray Field to Host Braves Taxi Squad
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce National Anthem Auditions
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce 2020 Promotions Schedule