Burns Homers Twice as Bisons Win Again, 9-2
On an absolutely perfect Saturday night at Sahlen Field, another big crowd was treated to another big win by the red-hot Bisons.
Buffalo improved to 4-1 on their current homestand with a dominant 9-2 victory over the Durham Bulls in front of 14,006 on Superhero Night at the ballpark. Andy Burns homered twice and the Bisons scored in five different innings to improve to 64-60 on the season.
Five different Bisons drove in runs on Saturday but it was Burns that had the loudest hits on the night. With the game tied at two in the fourth, the veteran infielder hit a laser two-run homer off Anthony Banda that had just enough height to clear the left field wall.
Video: Andy Burns Home Run
The fan-favorite struck again in the sixth with yet another home run, but of a completely different trajectory. This time, Burns greeted reliever Cole Sulser with a towering moon-shot home run to left on the first pitch the righty threw.
Video: Andy Burns hits his second home run of the game.
The multi-homer game gives Burns 16 on the season, a new career-high. He finished the game a perfect 3-3 at the plate with a single, a walk and four runs scored to go along with his home runs.
Buffalo scores first as Santiago Espinal singled home both Burns and Patrick Kivlehan in the second inning. Then, after Burns' first home run gave the Bisons the lead, Jonathan Davis and Richard Urena added RBI hits in the fifth that made the score 6-2. The Herd scored two runs again in the seventh when Jordan Patterson brought home Socrates Brito and Burns with a bases-loaded single to center.
Brock Stewart earned the win in his Bisons debut with 5.2 innings of two-run baseball. The righty did allow six hits, but got the Bulls to hit into doubleplays in the second, fourth and fifth innings to unclog the bases.
The Herd bullpen nailed down the win as Matt Dermody (1.1IP), Bryan Baker (1.0IP) and Ty Tice (1.0IP) allowed just two hits from the sixth inning on.
The Bisons will go for the three-game series sweep of the Bulls on Sunday at 1:05 p.m. Conor Fisk starts for the Herd as the team hosts Poopy and Branch from Trolls on a very special Kids Club Sunday.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 17, 2019
- RailRiders grab multiple leads in extra innings, fall to Stripers in 11 innings - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Knights Split Twin Bill with Clippers - Charlotte Knights
- Mets Sweep Saturday Doubleheader against Norfolk - Syracuse Mets
- Stripers Edge Scranton in Extras on Blanco's Walk-Off Walk - Gwinnett Stripers
- Toledo Tops Pawtucket on Rainy Saturday Night - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wings Fall in Extras, 2-1, Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Home Runs Propel Mud Hens to Victory - Toledo Mud Hens
- IronPigs match season-best four wins in a row - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Ramirez Strong But 'Pigs Top Indians, 3-2 - Indianapolis Indians
- Bats Win Pitchers' Duel in Extras, 2-1 - Louisville Bats
- Burns Homers Twice as Bisons Win Again, 9-2 - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (60-63) vs. Lehigh Valley IronPigs (59-63) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Rochester Red Wings (62-61) at Louisville Bats (52-71) - Louisville Bats
- Heller Rejoins RailRiders on MLB Rehab Assignment - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Durham (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Wings Back Monday for Four Straight First Ever Food Week - Rochester Red Wings
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- IronPigs Take Two in Indianapolis - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Tribe Fall Flat as IronPigs Sweep Doubleheader - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Buffalo Bisons Stories
- Buffalo Bisons Charitable Foundation Donates $20,000 to City of Buffalo's COVID-19 Initiatives
- Mayor Byron Brown Thanks the Buffalo Bisons Charitable Foundation for Supporting Community During COVID-19 Crisis
- Bisons Mother's Day Sale Includes 25% OFF
- May 31st Micah Hyde Charity Softball Game at Sahlen Field Postponed
- Nominate a 'Community All-Star' to be Recognized by the Bisons