Heller Rejoins RailRiders on MLB Rehab Assignment
MOOSIC, Pa. - The New York Yankees have announced that right-hander pitcher Ben Heller will rejoin the RailRiders on a Major League rehab assignment. This marks his second rehab assignment while recovering from surgery in last year.
Heller underwent Tommy John surgery in April of 2018. He initially began a rehab stint in June, pitching for Tampa and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, but had that assignment halted on July 18. His last appearance was on July 14 for the RailRiders at Syracuse, where he worked one inning and struck out two, needing just nine pitches to dispatch the Mets.
The Wisconsin native was initially selected by the Cleveland Indians in the 22nd round of the 2013 First-Year Player Draft and was a piece of the package that sent Andrew Miller to the Indians on July 31, 2016. Heller joined the Yankees system along with OF Clint Frazier, RHP J.P. Feyereisen and LHP Justus Sheffield.
Heller has appeared in 50 games for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre since the trade and made his Major League debut for New York on August 26, 2016. Over 19 appearances for the Yankees, Heller has a 2-0 record, an ERA of 3.00 and has struck out 15 batters over 18 innings. He is currently on the New York Yankees 60-Day Injured List.
He is one of nine New York Yankees players to join Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on an Allied Integrated Health Systems rehab assignment this year, joining Aaron Hicks, Didi Gregorius, Aaron Judge, Giancarlo Stanton, Domingo Germán, Cameron Maybin, Jonathan Loaisiga and Gary Sanchez.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre continues its road trip through the International League South tonight at Gwinnett. The RailRiders open a four-game homestand against the Pawtucket Red Sox on Monday at PNC Field. Tickets for the upcoming series are available online at swbrailriders.com.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 17, 2019
- RailRiders grab multiple leads in extra innings, fall to Stripers in 11 innings - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Knights Split Twin Bill with Clippers - Charlotte Knights
- Mets Sweep Saturday Doubleheader against Norfolk - Syracuse Mets
- Stripers Edge Scranton in Extras on Blanco's Walk-Off Walk - Gwinnett Stripers
- Toledo Tops Pawtucket on Rainy Saturday Night - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wings Fall in Extras, 2-1, Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Home Runs Propel Mud Hens to Victory - Toledo Mud Hens
- IronPigs match season-best four wins in a row - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Ramirez Strong But 'Pigs Top Indians, 3-2 - Indianapolis Indians
- Bats Win Pitchers' Duel in Extras, 2-1 - Louisville Bats
- Burns Homers Twice as Bisons Win Again, 9-2 - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (60-63) vs. Lehigh Valley IronPigs (59-63) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Rochester Red Wings (62-61) at Louisville Bats (52-71) - Louisville Bats
- Heller Rejoins RailRiders on MLB Rehab Assignment - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Durham (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Wings Back Monday for Four Straight First Ever Food Week - Rochester Red Wings
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- IronPigs Take Two in Indianapolis - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Tribe Fall Flat as IronPigs Sweep Doubleheader - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- SWB RailRiders Media Advisory- Emergency Food Drive-Thru Giveaway on May 27 at PNC Field
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre participating in MiLB CommUNITY First Campaign
- RailRiders Join the Show with IL Clubs
- READing RailRoad Returns
- RailRiders Front Office Is Temporarily Closed