Bats Win Pitchers' Duel in Extras, 2-1
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The Louisville Bats (53-71) defeated the Rochester Red Wings (62-62) by a final score of 2-1 Saturday night at Louisville Slugger Field. The game was decided in ten innings and improved the Bats' record to 6-7 this season in extra-inning efforts.
The night's contest proved to be a pitchers' duel early on as each team's starter was able to record scoreless outings. The Bats' Tejay Antone (2-7, 5.53) impressed, going five innings, allowing only five hits with six strikeouts and a pair of walks, while Red Wings starter Adam Bray (1-1, 2.77) threw four innings, allowing two hits, with seven strikeouts and one walk.
The first offense would come in the bottom of the fifth when Bats third baseman Mitch Nay would send a two-out solo shot to left field to give the Bats the 1-0 lead. However, Rochester would respond with a run of their own following a Brandon Barnes double and a Zander Wiel triple to tie the game 1-1.
After Jimmy Herget was able to end the threat of the baserunner starting on second base in the top of the tenth, Rob Refsnyder would send home the game-winning run with another walk-off win for Louisville. The win was the fifth walk-off victory so far this season with each one coming in each individual month of the season.
Louisville's offense would be led by leadoff man Narciso Crook, who finished the night 3-for-5 with a double, and Rob Refnsyder who finished the game 3-for-5, including the game-ending RBI single. Refsnyder's great offensive night was more of the same, improving his average over his last seven games to .464 (13-for-28).
Louisville and Rochester will meet for the series finale tomorrow afternoon at Louisville Slugger Field with first pitch set for 2:00 p.m. Right-hander Keury Mella (8-11, 4.75) will deliver the first pitch for the Bats, while righty Randy Dobnak (4-1, 2.00) will be on the bump for the Red Wings.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 17, 2019
- RailRiders grab multiple leads in extra innings, fall to Stripers in 11 innings - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Knights Split Twin Bill with Clippers - Charlotte Knights
- Mets Sweep Saturday Doubleheader against Norfolk - Syracuse Mets
- Stripers Edge Scranton in Extras on Blanco's Walk-Off Walk - Gwinnett Stripers
- Toledo Tops Pawtucket on Rainy Saturday Night - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wings Fall in Extras, 2-1, Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Home Runs Propel Mud Hens to Victory - Toledo Mud Hens
- IronPigs match season-best four wins in a row - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Ramirez Strong But 'Pigs Top Indians, 3-2 - Indianapolis Indians
- Bats Win Pitchers' Duel in Extras, 2-1 - Louisville Bats
- Burns Homers Twice as Bisons Win Again, 9-2 - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (60-63) vs. Lehigh Valley IronPigs (59-63) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Rochester Red Wings (62-61) at Louisville Bats (52-71) - Louisville Bats
- Heller Rejoins RailRiders on MLB Rehab Assignment - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Durham (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Wings Back Monday for Four Straight First Ever Food Week - Rochester Red Wings
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- IronPigs Take Two in Indianapolis - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Tribe Fall Flat as IronPigs Sweep Doubleheader - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.