Home Runs Propel Mud Hens to Victory
Pawtucket, RI - The Toledo Mud Hens and Pawtucket Red Sox met at McCoy Stadium on Saturday for the second game of a three-game series with Toledo victorious by a score of 5-1.
The Mud Hens began the game with a single off the bat of Jacob Robson before he stole second base for his International League leading 24th steal of the year. Robson then came around to score on a single by Christin Stewart to give Toledo an early 1-0 lead.
After rejoining the Toledo roster, Tyler Alexander got the start on the mound. After recording a one, two, three first inning, Alexander was pulled in the second after loading the bases, bringing his line to 1.1 innings pitched, one hit, no runs, one walk, one hit batter and two strikeouts. Zac Reininger entered in relief, utilizing a fly out and pop out to end the inning with the score still 1-0 Mud Hens.
The next offensive action for Toledo came in the top of the fourth. On a rehab assignment, Grayson Greiner singled before advancing to second on a wild pitch. After an out was recorded, Willi Castro knocked a two-run home run over the right field wall for his eighth of the season, extending the Hens lead to 3-0.
With one out in the bottom of the fifth, the Mud Hens made another change on the mound, seeing Victor Alcantara replacing Reininger. Over a total of three innings, Reininger allowed five hits and one walk resulting in one run. Alcantara worked out of the fifth and through the sixth, allowing just one hit in the process.
After a rain delay, Caleb Thielbar entered to pitch for Toledo, taking over at the beginning of the bottom of the seventh. Over two innings, Thielbar allowed one hit and one walk while striking out three.
At the plate in the top of the eighth with one out, Frank Schwindel clubbed a solo shot to extend the Toledo lead. Next, Castro was hit by a pitch before moving to third on a fielding error with Pete Kozma reaching first. Kade Scivicque then logged an RBI with a single to the gap that scored Castro and moved Kozma to third.
Daniel Stumpf entered in the ninth to pitch for the Mud Hens, becoming the fourth reliever of the night for Toledo. Stumpf struck out all three batters he faced to secure the 5-1 win for Toledo.
The Mud Hens and Red Sox will conclude their series on Sunday with Toledo set to send Spenser Watkins to the mound. As for Pawtucket, Teddy Stankiewicz will take the bump as the starter. The game will be the final time the two teams will meet this season and also end Toledo's road trip as they return to Fifth Third Field on Monday to take on Indianapolis.
#RoadToDetroit Report (rankings according to MLB.com 2019 Prospect Watch):
8. OF Daz Cameron: DNP
11. IF Willi Castro: 1 for 3, HR, 2 RBI
14. RHP Beau Burrows: DNP
18. RHP Kyle Funkhouser: DNP
21. RHP Bryan Garcia: DNP
30. OF Danny Woodrow: 0 for 1
- Tyler Alexander was sent back down to Toledo prior to the start of Saturday's game. Additionally Grayson Greiner's rehab assignment moved to Toledo as he joined the roster as well.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 17, 2019
- RailRiders grab multiple leads in extra innings, fall to Stripers in 11 innings - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Knights Split Twin Bill with Clippers - Charlotte Knights
- Mets Sweep Saturday Doubleheader against Norfolk - Syracuse Mets
- Stripers Edge Scranton in Extras on Blanco's Walk-Off Walk - Gwinnett Stripers
- Toledo Tops Pawtucket on Rainy Saturday Night - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wings Fall in Extras, 2-1, Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Home Runs Propel Mud Hens to Victory - Toledo Mud Hens
- IronPigs match season-best four wins in a row - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Ramirez Strong But 'Pigs Top Indians, 3-2 - Indianapolis Indians
- Bats Win Pitchers' Duel in Extras, 2-1 - Louisville Bats
- Burns Homers Twice as Bisons Win Again, 9-2 - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (60-63) vs. Lehigh Valley IronPigs (59-63) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Rochester Red Wings (62-61) at Louisville Bats (52-71) - Louisville Bats
- Heller Rejoins RailRiders on MLB Rehab Assignment - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Durham (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Wings Back Monday for Four Straight First Ever Food Week - Rochester Red Wings
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- IronPigs Take Two in Indianapolis - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Tribe Fall Flat as IronPigs Sweep Doubleheader - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.