Ramirez Strong But 'Pigs Top Indians, 3-2
INDIANAPOLIS - Yefry Ramirez struck out nine over six innings of two-run ball but Ramon Rosso, Tyler Gilbert and Edgar Garcia combined on a four-hitter as Lehigh Valley won their third straight over Indianapolis, 3-2, on Saturday night. Francisco Cervelli launched a 432-foot solo shot in the ninth to produce the final margin.
Lehigh Valley (60-63) handed the Tribe their fourth straight defeat as Indianapolis fell to a season-low four games under .500. The IronPigs plated two runs in the second off Ramirez to go up 2-0. Jose Pirela reached on an infield single to begin the frame and later stole second base. Malquin Canelo then walked ahead of a sacrifice bunt by Rosso, and former Indian Phil Gosselin capitalized with two men in scoring position, lining a two-run single to left.
Indy (60-64) cut its deficit in half in the fourth. Cervelli was hit by pitch and advanced to second on a slow comebacker by Ke'Bryan Hayes. Following a Trayvon Robinson single to right, Jake Elmore plated Cervelli with a groundout to short.
The score remained that way until the ninth. The IronPigs tacked on a big insurance run against Sean Keselica, who surrendered two hits and two walks in the frame, the latter to Gosselin that forced home the decisive run. Cervelli's solo homer opened the bottom half and Elmore added a two-out single, but Darnell Sweeney went down swinging to seal the defeat.
Ramirez (L, 2-5) tied his season high in strikeouts and yielded just two hits and three walks. He retired each of the last 13 batters he faced. Rosso (W, 2-2) fanned eight over six innings of two-hit ball. Garcia (S, 8) worked the ninth for the save.
Robinson collected two of Indy's four hits. The 31-year-old is hitting .360 (18-for-50) over his last 15 games.
The Indians and IronPigs conclude their four-game set on Sunday at 1:35 p.m. ET. James Marvel (4-0, 1.82) will oppose Damon Jones (0-1, 8.69).
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 17, 2019
- RailRiders grab multiple leads in extra innings, fall to Stripers in 11 innings - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Knights Split Twin Bill with Clippers - Charlotte Knights
- Mets Sweep Saturday Doubleheader against Norfolk - Syracuse Mets
- Stripers Edge Scranton in Extras on Blanco's Walk-Off Walk - Gwinnett Stripers
- Toledo Tops Pawtucket on Rainy Saturday Night - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wings Fall in Extras, 2-1, Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Home Runs Propel Mud Hens to Victory - Toledo Mud Hens
- IronPigs match season-best four wins in a row - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Ramirez Strong But 'Pigs Top Indians, 3-2 - Indianapolis Indians
- Bats Win Pitchers' Duel in Extras, 2-1 - Louisville Bats
- Burns Homers Twice as Bisons Win Again, 9-2 - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (60-63) vs. Lehigh Valley IronPigs (59-63) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Rochester Red Wings (62-61) at Louisville Bats (52-71) - Louisville Bats
- Heller Rejoins RailRiders on MLB Rehab Assignment - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Durham (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Wings Back Monday for Four Straight First Ever Food Week - Rochester Red Wings
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- IronPigs Take Two in Indianapolis - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Tribe Fall Flat as IronPigs Sweep Doubleheader - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.