Wings Fall in Extras, 2-1, Saturday
The Red Wings went just 1-for-14 with runners in scoring position in a 2-1, extra-inning loss in Louisville Saturday night.
The good news? The first-place RailRiders blew a two-run, 11th inning lead meaning the Wings (62-62) remain just three games out of a playoff spot with 16 games to go.
Adam Bray made the start for the Wings and struck out a season-high seven in four scoreless innings of work.
The Bats got on the board first in the fifth inning on a solo homer from Mitch Nay off Jeremy Bleich.
The Wings immediately tied the game in the top of the sixth inning. After a leadoff double from Brandon Barnes, Zander Wiel ripped a one-out triple off the wall in right to even the score at 1-1.
Preston Guilmet was outstanding for Rochester in three scoreless innings of work as the game remained tied into the 10th inning.
The Red Wings were unable to cash in their runner at second in the 10th. So, the Bats moved their runner to third on a sac bunt and Rob Refsnyder brought him home with an infield single off Fernando Romero for the walk off win.
Ian Miller and Tomas Telis each had two hits for the Wings.
The Wings can still win the series on Sunday with a win in the finale. First pitch is at 2pm.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 17, 2019
- RailRiders grab multiple leads in extra innings, fall to Stripers in 11 innings - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Knights Split Twin Bill with Clippers - Charlotte Knights
- Mets Sweep Saturday Doubleheader against Norfolk - Syracuse Mets
- Stripers Edge Scranton in Extras on Blanco's Walk-Off Walk - Gwinnett Stripers
- Toledo Tops Pawtucket on Rainy Saturday Night - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wings Fall in Extras, 2-1, Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Home Runs Propel Mud Hens to Victory - Toledo Mud Hens
- IronPigs match season-best four wins in a row - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Ramirez Strong But 'Pigs Top Indians, 3-2 - Indianapolis Indians
- Bats Win Pitchers' Duel in Extras, 2-1 - Louisville Bats
- Burns Homers Twice as Bisons Win Again, 9-2 - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (60-63) vs. Lehigh Valley IronPigs (59-63) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Rochester Red Wings (62-61) at Louisville Bats (52-71) - Louisville Bats
- Heller Rejoins RailRiders on MLB Rehab Assignment - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Durham (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Wings Back Monday for Four Straight First Ever Food Week - Rochester Red Wings
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- IronPigs Take Two in Indianapolis - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Tribe Fall Flat as IronPigs Sweep Doubleheader - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Red Wings Stories
- Red Wings 2020 Season Cancelled
- City of Rochester Mayor Warren Announces ROC'N Drive-In, Partnership with MVP Health Care, Rochester Red Wings and the Cinema Theater
- Red Wings to Host Dinner on the Diamond
- Red Wings Extend Fan Safety Netting to Both Berms
- Wings Hosting Dinner on the Diamond June 12 and 13