Philadelphia Union Partners with Octorara SC
CHESTER, Pa. - Philadelphia Union today announced it has partnered with Octorara SC. Under the collaborative arrangement, Union youth coaches will lead evaluation and training sessions for Octorara SC's youth programs.
The partnership was carefully designed with the goal of both clubs coming together to raise the level of soccer in the community, as well as provide elite training and development programs for the youth of the area.
"This is a great partnership and we are very proud to work with Octorara," said Union Youth General Manager David Pettican. "I have a soft spot for the Octorara soccer community having run camp and clinics there for 20 years. Partnering with local youth clubs remains a top priority for the Union as we work towards growing the game of soccer here in our backyard. We look forward to working with many more clubs like Octorara and developing the future of youth soccer in our region."
Under the partnership Union coaches will lead a pre-season training program in August and club training sessions four nights a week during the fall (September and October) and hold a pre-season kickoff picnic event. Additionally, Union coaches will run two coaches clinics over the course of the season.
"I believe this partnership is a fantastic win-win for both Octorara Soccer & the Union," said Octorara Soccer Club President John Mickel. "It will provide our community-based club more visibility as we continue to grow as well as providing the Union with a deeper relationship to its grassroots fan base, especially those located in the more western suburbs of the Philadelphia. We look forward to the opportunity to provide our players with additional resources that the Union coaching staff can provide. Our focus is not only on developing the player, but also the person and this 'Union' will enhance that philosophy."
Octorara SC is currently structured in to two different groups: Intramurals and Travel. Intramurals is co-ed with four age groups including Pee Wees, U6/U7, U8/U9 and U10-U12. The travel teams are split into teams based on gender and age group. The boys are split up into four age groups: U11, U12, U14 and U15/U16. The girls also have four age groups: U12, U14, U16, U18/U19. Octorara SC will look to add more teams in the 2019-20 season.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 6, 2019
- LA Galaxy take on Crew SC on Wednesday in Columbus; return home to face NYCFC on Saturday - LA Galaxy
- FC Cincinnati to Launch Academy with Two Youth Teams - FC Cincinnati
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: May 6, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo Forward Mauro Manotas Named to MLS Team of the Week - Houston Dynamo
- Atlanta United License Plate Bill Signed into Law - Atlanta United FC
- Atlanta United Midfielder Ezequiel Barco Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Ezequiel Barco Voted MLS Player of the Week - Atlanta United FC
- MNUFC Announces Eye of the Loon Program - Minnesota United FC
- Philadelphia Union Partners with Octorara SC - Philadelphia Union
- Timbers Acquire Forward Brian Fernandez as Designated Player - Portland Timbers
- Timbers Acquire $175,000 in Allocation Money from Houston Dynamo - Portland Timbers
- Houston Dynamo Acquire International Roster Slot in Trade with Portland Timbers - Houston Dynamo
- Whitecaps FC to Hold 1979 Anniversary Match on May 31 Versus Toronto - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: May 6, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- Timbers Acquire International Slot from Columbus Crew SC in Exchange for Midfielder David Guzman - Portland Timbers
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires David Guzman in Trade with the Portland Timbers - Columbus Crew SC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update - May 6, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- Atlanta United Tops Sporting Kansas City 3-0 - Atlanta United FC
- Sporting Falls to Reigning Champion Atlanta - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Philadelphia Union Joins ALL IN Challenge
- Philadelphia Union & Philadelphia Union Foundation Launch "FIGHT FOR SMALL BUSINESSÃ¢ÂÂ Campaign
- Philadelphia Union Return to Individual Workouts
- Philadelphia Union & American Red Cross Host Blood Drive at Subaru Park
- Philadelphia Union and Captain Morgan Team up to Help Local Covid-19 Relief Effort as Part of MLS Unites