Atlanta United Tops Sporting Kansas City 3-0
KANSAS CITY, Kansas - Atlanta United beat Sporting Kansas City 3-0 Sunday night at Children's Mercy Park with goals from Josef Martinez and Ezequiel Barco as the club picked up its second-straight road win. With a pair of goals, Martinez recorded his 13th multi-goal game with Atlanta United while Barco scored his fourth of the season, tied with Martinez for the team lead, and dished out his first assist of the year.
"I'm very pleased, it was a very solid performance," said Atlanta United head coach Frank de Boer. "We created our chances, we almost gave nothing away and we were confident on the ball. This is what you want to see from our team."
Atlanta controlled the pace of play from the outset, dominating possession and taking six shots building up to its breakthrough in the 39th minute. Ezequiel Barco received a pass from Darlington Nagbe near the center circle and drove the ball through the middle of the field before unleashing a strong right-footed shot toward goal. Sporting goalkeeper Tim Melia palmed the ball to his right, but Martinez buried the rebound while clashing with Melia inside the six-yard box.
Barco doubled Atlanta's lead right out of halftime in the 47th minute. The play again began with the Argentine midfielder sprinting through the midfield before laying off a pass to Gressel, who then returned the ball for Barco. He shed a defender off his back near the edge of the penalty area and passed to Martinez, who had the ball poked away. Graham Zusi attempted to clear the ball, but it fell directly to the feet of Barco, who took one touch to his right before blasting a perfectly-placed shot past a diving Melia into the bottom left corner.
Atlanta United continued to assert its dominance with several chances throughout the half and ultimately sealed victory in the 76th minute after Martinez scored his second goal of the night. Barco led a break down the left side and dribbled toward the top of the 18-yard box where he laid a pass off to Martinez. The Venezuelan dribbled around a Sporting defender before sending a curling strike into the top left corner. It was Barco's first assist of the season.
Atlanta United (3-3-2, 11 points) returns to action Wednesday, May 8 against Toronto FC at Mercedes-Benz Stadium (7:00 p.m. EST, FOX Sports Southeast, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game).
Shots: 19-10 Atlanta
Shots on Target: 8-3 Atlanta
Corner kicks: 5-4 Atlanta
Fouls committed: 12-5 Kansas City
Clearances: 17-12 Kansas City
Offside: 2-1 Kansas City
Possession: 55-45 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 87-84 Atlanta
ATL - Josef Martinez 39'
ATL - Ezequiel Barco 47'
ATL - Josef Martinez 76' (Ezequiel Barco)
ATL - Eric Remedi 66' (yellow)
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Brad Guzan; Leandro González Pirez, Franco Escobar, Miles Robinson, Michael Parkhurst ©; Darlington Nagbe, Eric Remedi (Jeff Larentowicz - 70'); Ezequiel Barco, Gonzalo Martinez (Hector Villalba - 71'), Julian Gressel; Josef Martinez (Brek Shea - 81').
Substitutes not used: Alec Kann, Dion Pereira, Florentin Pogba, Jon Gallagher.
SPORTING KANSAS CITY STARTING LINEUP
Tim Melia; Graham Zusi ©, Seth Sinovic, Graham Smith, Botond Baráth; Yohan Croizet (Ilie Sánchez - 65'), Kelyn Rowe (Gedion Zelalem - 65'), Felipe Gutiérrez; Dániel Sallói, Johnny Russell, Krisztián Németh.
Substitutes not used: Adrián Zendejas, Nicolas Hasler, Abdul Rwatubyaye.
Allen Chapman (referee), Logan Brown (assistant), Oscar Michtell-Carvalho (assistant), Rosendo Mendoza (fourth), Geoff Gamble (VAR), Joshua Patlak (assistant VAR)
Josef Martinez scored his third and fourth goals of the season
Ezequiel Barco also scored his fourth goal of the season, while also adding his first assist
Atlanta is now second in shots per game at 15.25
Josef Martinez tied a career-best with four chances created
Atlanta United tied a club record with just five fouls conceded, done twice before (July 2018 v Orlando and Oct. 2018 v New England)
Jeff Larentowicz appeared in his 398th career game, good for third place all-time in league history among field players. He is two appearances away from becoming the third field player to reach 400 in MLS history.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 6, 2019
- LA Galaxy take on Crew SC on Wednesday in Columbus; return home to face NYCFC on Saturday - LA Galaxy
- FC Cincinnati to Launch Academy with Two Youth Teams - FC Cincinnati
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: May 6, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo Forward Mauro Manotas Named to MLS Team of the Week - Houston Dynamo
- Atlanta United License Plate Bill Signed into Law - Atlanta United FC
- Atlanta United Midfielder Ezequiel Barco Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Ezequiel Barco Voted MLS Player of the Week - Atlanta United FC
- MNUFC Announces Eye of the Loon Program - Minnesota United FC
- Philadelphia Union Partners with Octorara SC - Philadelphia Union
- Timbers Acquire Forward Brian Fernandez as Designated Player - Portland Timbers
- Timbers Acquire $175,000 in Allocation Money from Houston Dynamo - Portland Timbers
- Houston Dynamo Acquire International Roster Slot in Trade with Portland Timbers - Houston Dynamo
- Whitecaps FC to Hold 1979 Anniversary Match on May 31 Versus Toronto - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: May 6, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- Timbers Acquire International Slot from Columbus Crew SC in Exchange for Midfielder David Guzman - Portland Timbers
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires David Guzman in Trade with the Portland Timbers - Columbus Crew SC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update - May 6, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- Atlanta United Tops Sporting Kansas City 3-0 - Atlanta United FC
- Sporting Falls to Reigning Champion Atlanta - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Acquires More Than $1 Million in Allocation Money, International Roster Spot from Columbus
- Atlanta United Falls 2-1 to Toronto FC in Eastern Conference Final
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Toronto FC
- Josef Martinez, Miles Robinson Named to 2019 MLS Best XI
- Atlanta United Advances to Eastern Conference Final, Defeats Philadelphia Union 2-0