Earthquakes Weekly Update: May 6, 2019
The San Jose Earthquakes picked up their third consecutive home win and extended their unbeaten streak to a Western Conference-best four matches with a 1-0 victory over FC Cincinnati on Saturday night.
Homegrown defender Nick Lima scored his first goal of the season and fifth of his MLS career to get the Quakes on the board early. Despite a red card issued to midfielder Cristian Espinoza just minutes into the second half, San Jose managed to maintain their lead throughout the remainder of the match and secure all three points. Saturday's nights win gave the Quakes back-to-back shutouts for the first time since April 29 and May 6, 2017.
The Earthquakes, who are unbeaten in five of their last six matches, look to continue their positive momentum when they face the New England Revolution on Saturday, May 11 at Gillette Stadium. Saturday's road match is set for 4:30 p.m. PT and will be broadcast live on NBC Sports California, KNBR 1050 and 1370 KZSF.
With Saturday's 1-0 victory over FC Cincinnati, the Earthquakes have now won three consecutive home games. The Quakes have won three or more consecutive home games for the first time since 2017 (2-1 vs. RSL on 6/24; 2-1 vs. LA on 7/1; 1-0 vs. COL on 7/29; 2-1 vs. CLB on 8/5).
The Earthquakes won a match in which they finished with 10 players for the first time since June 24, 2017 against Real Salt Lake (2-1).
San Jose is currently in the midst of a four-match unbeaten streak (2-0-2). The last time the Quakes went unbeaten in 4+ straight MLS matches was July 16 - Aug. 12, 2016 (2-0-3).
San Jose's four-match unbeaten streak is currently the longest active unbeaten streak in the Western Conference and tied for the second longest active streak in Major League Soccer (NYC - 6; PHI - 3).
The Earthquakes have now earned at least one point in five of the last six matches. The last time Quakes accomplished this feat during a single season was from April 8 - May 6, 2017 (2-1-3).
The Quakes have earned 11 points from their last six games (3-1-2). The last time the club accomplished this feat in a single season was the first six matches of the 2016 season (3-1-2).
The Earthquakes now hold a 1-0-0 all-time record against FC Cincinnati.
Quakes defender Nick Lima tallied his first goal of the season and fifth of his MLS career on Saturday. It also marked his first game-winning goal of the season, second of his career, and first since July 29, 2017.
Midfielder Cristian Espinoza was credited with the assist on Lima's goal on Saturday, marking his third of the season. It also marked his second game-winning assist of 2019 (vs. POR 4/6). Only Houston's Alberth Elis has tallied more game-winning assists so far this season (3).
Goalkeeper Daniel Vega has made 39 saves this season, most in Major League Soccer. He has made at least three saves in each of the last nine matches.
Vega has now recorded three shutouts during the 2019 season, tied for second most in the Western Conference.
Forward Chris Wondolowski has appeared in 299 MLS matches for the Earthquakes. His next appearance will see him become just the fifth player in league history to reach 300 with a single club (Nick Rimando - RSL; Jaime Moreno - DC; Kyle Beckerman - RSL; Cobi Jones - LA).
Midfielder Shea Salinas has appeared in 249 MLS matches for the Earthquakes. His next appearance will mark his 250th with the Quakes, putting him into a tie with Ramiro Corrales for second most in club history.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 6, 2019
- LA Galaxy take on Crew SC on Wednesday in Columbus; return home to face NYCFC on Saturday - LA Galaxy
- FC Cincinnati to Launch Academy with Two Youth Teams - FC Cincinnati
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: May 6, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo Forward Mauro Manotas Named to MLS Team of the Week - Houston Dynamo
- Atlanta United License Plate Bill Signed into Law - Atlanta United FC
- Atlanta United Midfielder Ezequiel Barco Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Ezequiel Barco Voted MLS Player of the Week - Atlanta United FC
- MNUFC Announces Eye of the Loon Program - Minnesota United FC
- Philadelphia Union Partners with Octorara SC - Philadelphia Union
- Timbers Acquire Forward Brian Fernandez as Designated Player - Portland Timbers
- Timbers Acquire $175,000 in Allocation Money from Houston Dynamo - Portland Timbers
- Houston Dynamo Acquire International Roster Slot in Trade with Portland Timbers - Houston Dynamo
- Whitecaps FC to Hold 1979 Anniversary Match on May 31 Versus Toronto - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: May 6, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- Timbers Acquire International Slot from Columbus Crew SC in Exchange for Midfielder David Guzman - Portland Timbers
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires David Guzman in Trade with the Portland Timbers - Columbus Crew SC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update - May 6, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- Atlanta United Tops Sporting Kansas City 3-0 - Atlanta United FC
- Sporting Falls to Reigning Champion Atlanta - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: July 15, 2019
- Earthquakes Loan Defender Jimmy Ockford to Nashville SC
- Earthquakes take club record 32 shots in victory, surge to fourth place
- Earthquakes to Celebrate Women's Soccer on July 27
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: July 8, 2019