Ezequiel Barco Voted MLS Player of the Week
ATLANTA - Atlanta United midfielder Ezequiel Barco was voted the Week 10 Major League Soccer Player of the Week following his performance in Atlanta's 3-0 win over Sporting Kansas City at Children's Mercy Park on Sunday where he tallied a goal and an assist. It's the second time he's won the award the season and he is currently tied for 11th in the league with four goals scored this season. The midfielder is due to join Argentina for the 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Poland this week.
With Atlanta taking a one-goal lead into the second half, Barco added an insurance goal in the 47th minute to push the advantage to 2-0. SKC gave the ball away just outside the top of the box, where Barco ripped a shot from long distance into the bottom left corner of the goal.
The 20-year-old then assisted on Josef Marti-nez's 76th minute goal, finding the forward at the top of the box for the Venezuelan's second goal of the game to give Atlanta a decisive 3-0 lead.
Although not credited on the scoresheet, Barco also played a role in Atlanta first goal. He received a pass from Darlington Nagbe near the center circle and drove the ball through the middle of the field before unleashing a strong right-footed shot toward goal. SKC goalkeeper Tim Melia palmed the ball to his right, but Josef Martinez buried the rebound while clashing with Melia inside the six-yard box.
Atlanta United returns to action on Wednesday when hosting Toronto FC (7:00 p.m., FOX Sports Southeast, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game), before Sunday's match against Orlando City SC at Mercedes-Benz Stadium (2:30 p.m., FOX, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game).
In addition to the second time Barco has won the award, it's now the 11th time an Atlanta United player has won the award. Josef Martinez has won it six times - including four in 2018 - and Miguel Almirón has won it three times.
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 6, 2019
- LA Galaxy take on Crew SC on Wednesday in Columbus; return home to face NYCFC on Saturday - LA Galaxy
- FC Cincinnati to Launch Academy with Two Youth Teams - FC Cincinnati
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: May 6, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo Forward Mauro Manotas Named to MLS Team of the Week - Houston Dynamo
- Atlanta United License Plate Bill Signed into Law - Atlanta United FC
- Atlanta United Midfielder Ezequiel Barco Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Ezequiel Barco Voted MLS Player of the Week - Atlanta United FC
- MNUFC Announces Eye of the Loon Program - Minnesota United FC
- Philadelphia Union Partners with Octorara SC - Philadelphia Union
- Timbers Acquire Forward Brian Fernandez as Designated Player - Portland Timbers
- Timbers Acquire $175,000 in Allocation Money from Houston Dynamo - Portland Timbers
- Houston Dynamo Acquire International Roster Slot in Trade with Portland Timbers - Houston Dynamo
- Whitecaps FC to Hold 1979 Anniversary Match on May 31 Versus Toronto - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: May 6, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- Timbers Acquire International Slot from Columbus Crew SC in Exchange for Midfielder David Guzman - Portland Timbers
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires David Guzman in Trade with the Portland Timbers - Columbus Crew SC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update - May 6, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- Atlanta United Tops Sporting Kansas City 3-0 - Atlanta United FC
- Sporting Falls to Reigning Champion Atlanta - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Falls 2-1 to Toronto FC in Eastern Conference Final
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Toronto FC
- Josef Martinez, Miles Robinson Named to 2019 MLS Best XI
- Atlanta United Advances to Eastern Conference Final, Defeats Philadelphia Union 2-0
- Josef Martinez Wins AT&T MLS Goal of the Year