Atlanta United Midfielder Ezequiel Barco Voted MLS Player of the Week
May 6, 2019 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
NEW YORK - Atlanta United midfielder Ezequiel Barco was voted the Major League Soccer Player of the Week for the 10th week of the 2019 MLS season.
Atlanta defeated Sporting Kansas City 3-0 at Children's Mercy Park on Sunday behind a goal and an assist from Barco. The Argentine is tied for 11th in the league with four goals scored this season to go along with one assist. Atlanta is tied for ninth in the Eastern Conference with 11 points (3-3-2 overall record).
With Atlanta taking a one-goal lead into the second half, an opportunistic Barco added an insurance goal in the 42nd minute to push the advantage to 2-0. SKC gave the ball away just outside the top of the box, where Barco ripped a shot from long distance into the bottom left corner of the goal.
The 20-year-old then assisted on Josef Martínez's 76th minute goal, finding the forward at the top of the box for the Venezuelan's second goal of the game to give Atlanta a decisive 3-0 lead. Barco will next join Argentina for the 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Poland.
Atlanta United returns to action on Wednesday when hosting Toronto FC (7 p.m. ET, TSN 4/5 / ESPN+), before Sunday's match against Orlando City SC at Mercedes-Benz Stadium (2:30 p.m. ET, FOX / FOX Deportes / FOX Sports GO).
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 6, 2019
- LA Galaxy take on Crew SC on Wednesday in Columbus; return home to face NYCFC on Saturday - LA Galaxy
- FC Cincinnati to Launch Academy with Two Youth Teams - FC Cincinnati
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: May 6, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo Forward Mauro Manotas Named to MLS Team of the Week - Houston Dynamo
- Atlanta United License Plate Bill Signed into Law - Atlanta United FC
- Atlanta United Midfielder Ezequiel Barco Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Ezequiel Barco Voted MLS Player of the Week - Atlanta United FC
- MNUFC Announces Eye of the Loon Program - Minnesota United FC
- Philadelphia Union Partners with Octorara SC - Philadelphia Union
- Timbers Acquire Forward Brian Fernandez as Designated Player - Portland Timbers
- Timbers Acquire $175,000 in Allocation Money from Houston Dynamo - Portland Timbers
- Houston Dynamo Acquire International Roster Slot in Trade with Portland Timbers - Houston Dynamo
- Whitecaps FC to Hold 1979 Anniversary Match on May 31 Versus Toronto - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: May 6, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- Timbers Acquire International Slot from Columbus Crew SC in Exchange for Midfielder David Guzman - Portland Timbers
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires David Guzman in Trade with the Portland Timbers - Columbus Crew SC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update - May 6, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- Atlanta United Tops Sporting Kansas City 3-0 - Atlanta United FC
- Sporting Falls to Reigning Champion Atlanta - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.