Columbus Crew SC Acquires David Guzman in Trade with the Portland Timbers
COLUMBUS - Columbus Crew SC today announced that the club has acquired Costa Rican midfielder David Guzman (pronounced: DA-veed GOOZ-mahn) from the Portland Timbers in exchange for an International Roster Spot for the 2019 Major League Soccer season. Guzman, 29, is a 12-year veteran who brings international experience which includes playing in the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia.
With the Portland Timbers, Guzman made 44 regular-season appearances (39 starts), tallying four goals and eight assists. Prior to joining the Timbers ahead of the 2017 MLS season, Guzman played for Costa Rican First Division club Deportivo Saprissa from 2011-2016, where he helped the club win the Torneo de Invierno three times (2014-2015, 2015-2016, 2016-2017), the Torneo de Verano twice (2009-2010, 2013-2014), and the Torneo de Copa de Costa Rica - Costa Rica's domestic cup - once (2013-2014).
"We are excited to welcome David to Columbus Crew SC," said Crew SC President Tim Bezbatchenko. "David is a player who brings World Cup, Copa America, Concacaf Champions League and MLS Cup experience to the Club, and who will add depth to our midfield. Having worked with Caleb before, we believe David will quickly integrate into our squad and we look forward to his contributions to Crew SC."
At the international level, Guzman has earned 54 caps for Costa Rica since making his debut for Los Ticos in an international friendly against Switzerland on June 1, 2010. Guzman has represented Costa Rica at the FIFA World Cup (2018), Copa America (2011), the Gold Cup (2011, 2015, 2017) and the Copa Centroamericana (2011, 2017).
In addition to his appearances for Costa Rica at the senior level, Guzman also featured for Costa Rica at the Under-17 and U-20 levels, participating in the 2007 FIFA U-17 World Cup and the 2009 FIFA U-20 World Cup.
Crew SC hosts the LA Galaxy at MAPFRE Stadium on Wednesday, May 8, for the lone regular-season meeting between the clubs in 2019 [7:30 p.m. ET / Fox Sports Ohio, FOX Sports GO (Stream) / 97.1 The Fan & 971TheFan.com (English); ColumbusCrewSC.com (Spanish)].
TRANSACTION: Columbus Crew SC acquires midfielder David Guzman from the Portland Timbers in exchange for an International Roster Spot for the 2019 MLS season, announced on May 6, 2019.
Name: David Guzman (DA-veed GOOZ-mahn)
Born: February 16, 1990 in San Jose, Costa Rica
Hometown: San Jose, Costa Rica
Citizenship: Costa Rica
Acquired: Acquired by Crew SC from the Portland Timbers in exchange for an International Roster Spot
Previous Experience: Portland Timbers (2017-2019), Deportivo Saprissa (2009-2016)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 6, 2019
- LA Galaxy take on Crew SC on Wednesday in Columbus; return home to face NYCFC on Saturday - LA Galaxy
- FC Cincinnati to Launch Academy with Two Youth Teams - FC Cincinnati
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: May 6, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo Forward Mauro Manotas Named to MLS Team of the Week - Houston Dynamo
- Atlanta United License Plate Bill Signed into Law - Atlanta United FC
- Atlanta United Midfielder Ezequiel Barco Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Ezequiel Barco Voted MLS Player of the Week - Atlanta United FC
- MNUFC Announces Eye of the Loon Program - Minnesota United FC
- Philadelphia Union Partners with Octorara SC - Philadelphia Union
- Timbers Acquire Forward Brian Fernandez as Designated Player - Portland Timbers
- Timbers Acquire $175,000 in Allocation Money from Houston Dynamo - Portland Timbers
- Houston Dynamo Acquire International Roster Slot in Trade with Portland Timbers - Houston Dynamo
- Whitecaps FC to Hold 1979 Anniversary Match on May 31 Versus Toronto - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: May 6, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- Timbers Acquire International Slot from Columbus Crew SC in Exchange for Midfielder David Guzman - Portland Timbers
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires David Guzman in Trade with the Portland Timbers - Columbus Crew SC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update - May 6, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- Atlanta United Tops Sporting Kansas City 3-0 - Atlanta United FC
- Sporting Falls to Reigning Champion Atlanta - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires $110,000 in Allocation Money Via Trade with the San Jose Earthquakes
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face the Chicago Fire Tomorrow Night
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face Orlando City SC Tomorrow
- Columbus Crew SC Hires Steve Lyons as Executive Vice President, Chief Business Officer
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Forward Jordan Hamilton and Assets in Trade with Toronto FC