Whitecaps FC to Hold 1979 Anniversary Match on May 31 Versus Toronto
VANCOUVER, BC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced on Monday that the club will hold official celebrations commemorating the 40th anniversary of the 1979 NASL Soccer Bowl championship team at the Friday, May 31 home match against Toronto FC. Please note that the anniversary match has moved from the originally announced date of August 31.
16 members of the '79 team will be in attendance and recognized prior to kickoff. Attendees include:
#1, Phil Parkes, goalkeeper
#2, Ray Lewington, midfielder
#3, Bob McNab, left back/assistant coach
#5, Bob Lenarduzzi, left back
#6, Roger Kenyon, centre back
#7, Buzz Parsons, right back
#10, Bob Bolitho, right back/midfielder
#11, Kevin Hector, striker
#18, Dan Lenarduzzi, centre back
#20, Willie Johnston, winger
#21, Carl Valentine, winger
#24, Derek Possee, striker
#28, Steve Nesin, striker
#29, Carl Shearer, centre back
Tony Waiters, head coach
Les Wilson, manager
Also representing the late Whitecaps NASL general manager John Best will be his wife Claudia Best.
Leading up to the match, BC Place will be offering a limited number of tickets every Thursday at 11 a.m. PT for $19.79. Tickets will be released online at ticketmaster.ca/whitecaps.
Following the match, fans are invited to join members of the 1979 team for a social event at the BC Sports Hall of Fame from 9:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. PT. Tickets are $25, including one drink. Season ticket members will be e-mailed with first priority on Wednesday starting at 10 a.m. PT, before public on sale at whitecapsfc.com starting at 4 p.m. PT. Net proceeds will be donated to Jumpstart. Space is limited.
Whitecaps FC return home this Friday, May 10 against Cascadia rivals Portland Timbers. For information on ticket options, visit whitecapsfc.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 6, 2019
- LA Galaxy take on Crew SC on Wednesday in Columbus; return home to face NYCFC on Saturday - LA Galaxy
- FC Cincinnati to Launch Academy with Two Youth Teams - FC Cincinnati
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: May 6, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo Forward Mauro Manotas Named to MLS Team of the Week - Houston Dynamo
- Atlanta United License Plate Bill Signed into Law - Atlanta United FC
- Atlanta United Midfielder Ezequiel Barco Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Ezequiel Barco Voted MLS Player of the Week - Atlanta United FC
- MNUFC Announces Eye of the Loon Program - Minnesota United FC
- Philadelphia Union Partners with Octorara SC - Philadelphia Union
- Timbers Acquire Forward Brian Fernandez as Designated Player - Portland Timbers
- Timbers Acquire $175,000 in Allocation Money from Houston Dynamo - Portland Timbers
- Houston Dynamo Acquire International Roster Slot in Trade with Portland Timbers - Houston Dynamo
- Whitecaps FC to Hold 1979 Anniversary Match on May 31 Versus Toronto - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: May 6, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- Timbers Acquire International Slot from Columbus Crew SC in Exchange for Midfielder David Guzman - Portland Timbers
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires David Guzman in Trade with the Portland Timbers - Columbus Crew SC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update - May 6, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- Atlanta United Tops Sporting Kansas City 3-0 - Atlanta United FC
- Sporting Falls to Reigning Champion Atlanta - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- Kal Dosanjh Named Whitecaps FC Representative for 2019 MLS WORKS Community MVP
- Whitecaps FC return home on Saturday after midweek defeat at New England
- 'Caps suffer 3-0 loss to Sporting KC
- Crepeau provides late heroics to set up decisive leg at BC Place on July 24
- 'Caps become latest victim of LAFC at Banc of California Stadium