PawSox Take First of Four-Game Home-And-Home Series
PAWTUCKET, R.I. - The Pawtucket Red Sox (24-31) broke a 1-1 tie in the bottom of the eighth inning that led to a 4-1 win over the Lehigh Valley IronPigs (28-26) on Monday night at McCoy Stadium.
Chad De La Guerra hit a home run off Tyler Viza in the bottom of the first inning that gave the PawSox a 1-0 lead. Viza finished his start by turning in the best start of his Triple-A tenure. He allowed just the one run off three hits with one walk and seven strikeouts in seven innings.
Lehigh Valley tied the game at 1-1 in the top of the second inning as Rob Brantly hit an RBI groundout off Josh Smith. Smith struck out 11 batters over five innings before turning the game over to the bullpen.
Kyle Dohy (1-2) took the loss as he allowed three runs in the bottom of the eighth inning. De La Guerra hit an RBI double that was followed by a two-run double hit by Josh Ockimey.
Travis Lakins (2-0) earned the win while Trevor Kelley earned his second save of the season.
The IronPigs and PawSox wrap up their two-game series at McCoy Stadium on Tuesday morning. First pitch is scheduled for 11:05 a.m. The teams then travel to Coca-Cola Park for two contests.
The 2019 IronPigs season is the team's 12th as the top affiliate for the Philadelphia Phillies and 12th at Coca-Cola Park. Follow the IronPigs on Twitter at @IronPigs and like them on Facebook via Facebook.com/LHVIronPigs.
The 2019 IronPigs season is presented by Capital BlueCross.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 3, 2019
- Stripers out Slug Charlotte, 7-5 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Mets Grab 5-4 Walk-Off Win over Red Wings in Ten Innings on Monday - Syracuse Mets
- Peterson Grand Slam Carries Hens - Toledo Mud Hens
- Explosive offense in Game 2 earns RailRiders a doubleheader split - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons, RailRiders Split Series Opening Doubleheader - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Drop 7-5 Slugfest to Stripers - Charlotte Knights
- PawSox Take First of Four-Game Home-And-Home Series - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bulls Edge Tides in Series Opener - Durham Bulls
- Ballpark Brewer Series Brings Exciting New Craft Beers to Sahlen Field - Buffalo Bisons
- Three Runs in 8th doom IronPigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- De La Guerra Carries PawSox to Series-Opening Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (31-22) at Louisville Bats (23-33) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Indianapolis Indians (31-22) at Louisville Bats (23-33) - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, DH (5:35 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Homestand Highlights: Stripers Set for Homestand - Gwinnett Stripers
- Louisville Bats Homestand Notes: June 3-5 - Louisville Bats
- Phillip Ervin Named International League Batter of the Week - Louisville Bats
- International League Players of the Week Named - IL
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lehigh Valley IronPigs Stories
- #HopeningDay to Feature Virtual Baseball Telecast
- 'All Abilities' Night Features Sign Language Jersey Auction
- Pig Day Celebration to be Held Friday, March 6
- IronPigs Release Full Promotional Calendar for the 2020 Season
- 2020 Bobblehead Lineup, Jersey Auction Dates Announced