Overtime Trips up Nailers in Manchester
MANCHESTER, NH - Despite earning a point, overtime has been an unfriendly destination for the Wheeling Nailers as of late, and on Friday night, they fell short in the bonus session at SNHU Arena against the Manchester Monarchs. Troy Josephs scored to force overtime with 7:54 remaining, but David Kolomatis' power play goal at the 56-second mark of the extra period gave the Monarchs the upper hand in a 4-3 final.
One goal was scored in a first period that saw both teams direct eight shots on the opposition net. The tally came shortly after a Manchester power play, and it was the home team that struck first. David Kolomatis slipped a pass through the slot to Nic Pierog, who blazed in a one-timer from the left circle.
After feeling each other out in the opening 20 minutes, the scoring increased during the middle frame. At the 3:54 mark, Dane Birks netted his first professional goal, tossing in a wrist shot from the center point. Both teams then converted on power play redirections to create a 2-2 tie. Pierog tipped in Chris Carlisle's left point wrist shot to put the Monarchs ahead, before Zac Lynch's shot bounced off a Manchester stick and flew into the top-right corner. With less than one minute to go in the period, Manchester regained the lead, as Spencer Watson finished an odd-man rush, which was created by Tony Cameranesi.
The lone goal of the third period went to the Nailers, who forced extra hockey. Robbie Hall opened up the play on the left side of the ice, before dishing a pass into the middle, where Troy Josephs crashed the net for a tip-in with 7:54 left in regulation.
Wheeling was called for a penalty in the first minute of overtime, and the Monarchs converted with the 4-on-3, as Kolomatis wound his way into the right circle, snapping in a wrist shot for the 4-3 win.
Charles Williams backstopped the victory in net for Manchester, turning aside 31 of the 34 shots he faced. Matt O'Connor suffered the overtime loss, despite making 27 saves on 31 shots.
The Nailers will continue their weekend road trip on Saturday, when they visit the Worcester Railers at 7:05, followed by Sunday at 3:05 against the Maine Mariners. Wheeling will then play three straight games at home next week, starting with a 7:05 match against Reading on Wednesday, February 13th. The next big promotional night is Country Roads, featuring a Mason Jar Giveaway to the first 2,000 fans on February 16th. All tickets for that game are just $12. The Wheeling Nailers, considered one of the top things to do in Wheeling, West Virginia, provide affordable family entertainment for fans throughout the Ohio Valley. For information on season tickets, group tickets, flex plans, and more, call (304) 234-GOAL.
Images from this story
Wheeling Nailers forward Zac Lynch
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 8, 2019
- Rally Comes up Short in Loss at Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads Press Late, Fall 4-3 to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- McDonald Stops 33 Shots in 2-0 Shutout Victory against Allen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fitze, Tammela Score in 2-1 Win over IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wings Hang on to Complete Two-Game Sweep over Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Set Records in Dominant Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- SC Earns Point from OT Loss in Atlanta - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gladiators Set New Franchise Record in 2-1 OT Win, Improving Historic Point Streak to 12 Games - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thomas Pushes Scoring Streak to Eight as K-Wings Top Fuel 4-2 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Reichenbach's 45 Saves Propels Norfolk Past Reading 5-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Railers Throw Reversal on Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Hammer Nailers in Overtime, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Even Three-Game Set with 3-1 Win over Everblades - Adirondack Thunder
- Three Third Period Power Play Goals Pace Railers to 3-2 Comeback Win over Greenville - Worcester Railers HC
- Rough First Period Buries Mariners against Cyclones - Maine Mariners
- Luukko Scores Twice, Royals Drop, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Overtime Trips up Nailers in Manchester - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Shatter the Komets in a Shootout - Newfoundland Growlers
- G Booth Reassigned to Charlotte by Carolina - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - February 8 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Royals at Admirals, February 8, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Thunder Heads to Black Hills to Face Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Nailers at Monarchs Game Day Snap Shot, February 8 - Wheeling Nailers
- Preview: Everblades Battle Thunder, Shoot for Eighth Straight Home Win - Florida Everblades
- Nailers Receive Trevor Yates After AHL Trade - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Maine Mariners - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Wings and Fuel Square off in Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Royals Finish Back-To-Back Before Huge Home Weekend - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.