Railers Throw Reversal on Swamp Rabbits
WORCESTER, Mass. - The Greenville Swamp Rabbits held a 2-0 lead on the Worcester Railers on the road. However, the Railers forced Greenville errors into power play chances and struck three times on the man advantage to defeat Greenville 3-2 on Friday night at DCU Center.
Adam Larkin's delay of game penalty turned into a Ryan Hitchcock power play goal to pull Worcester within one. A two-man advantage, fueled by Kamerin Nault's slashing minor, and Will Merchant's delay of game minor penalty, gave Worcester its best chance. With Nault's penalty having just expired, Tyler Barnes scored his first of the night on a deflection in front of Chris Nell's net.
Worcester took the lead they would not relinquish on a Michael Pelech tripping penalty, where Barnes found himself wide open on the back door, and scored on his own rebound to put Worcester up 3-2.
Worcester's power play went 3-for-5 on the night. Their penalty kill stopped both Swamp Rabbits opportunities.
Greenville played as close to a perfect road game as possible in the effort, holding a Railers club starved for goals off of the board, and scoring twice. In fact, it was the Swamp Rabbits who struck first in the game, thanks to a more common source in the first period. After Nault carried the puck into the offensive zone down the left wing boards, a centering pass found its way back to Luke Ripley, who bombed the puck into the back of the net and opened the scoring.
In the second period, the lead was doubled. Chad Duchesne and Larkin teamed up on a point shot that found the stick of Dylan Vander Esch, who deflected the puck through Mitch Gillam in the Worcester crease to increase the lead to 2-0. The Swamp Rabbits found ways to get to the net and get rewarded, much like their last win against Atlanta.
Worcester struck on three of their nine shots on goal in the third period to throw a wrench into those plans and pick up the comeback win over the Swamp Rabbits on Friday night. The game closed out the three-game series, in which the Railers picked up wins in two of the three games.
The three-game weekend continues in Maine for a matchup with the Mariners at 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, February 9. Catch all of the action on the Swamp Rabbits Broadcast Network, or on ECHL.TV.
Images from this story
Greenville Swamp Rabbits forward Austen Brassard sandwiched by the Worcester Railers
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 8, 2019
- Rally Comes up Short in Loss at Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads Press Late, Fall 4-3 to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- McDonald Stops 33 Shots in 2-0 Shutout Victory against Allen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fitze, Tammela Score in 2-1 Win over IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wings Hang on to Complete Two-Game Sweep over Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Set Records in Dominant Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- SC Earns Point from OT Loss in Atlanta - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gladiators Set New Franchise Record in 2-1 OT Win, Improving Historic Point Streak to 12 Games - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thomas Pushes Scoring Streak to Eight as K-Wings Top Fuel 4-2 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Reichenbach's 45 Saves Propels Norfolk Past Reading 5-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Railers Throw Reversal on Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Hammer Nailers in Overtime, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Even Three-Game Set with 3-1 Win over Everblades - Adirondack Thunder
- Three Third Period Power Play Goals Pace Railers to 3-2 Comeback Win over Greenville - Worcester Railers HC
- Rough First Period Buries Mariners against Cyclones - Maine Mariners
- Luukko Scores Twice, Royals Drop, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Overtime Trips up Nailers in Manchester - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Shatter the Komets in a Shootout - Newfoundland Growlers
- G Booth Reassigned to Charlotte by Carolina - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - February 8 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Royals at Admirals, February 8, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Thunder Heads to Black Hills to Face Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Nailers at Monarchs Game Day Snap Shot, February 8 - Wheeling Nailers
- Preview: Everblades Battle Thunder, Shoot for Eighth Straight Home Win - Florida Everblades
- Nailers Receive Trevor Yates After AHL Trade - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Maine Mariners - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Wings and Fuel Square off in Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Royals Finish Back-To-Back Before Huge Home Weekend - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.