Monarchs Hammer Nailers in Overtime, 4-3
MANCHESTER, N.H. - The Manchester Monarchs scored less than a minute into overtime and clinched their first victory on the weekend over the Wheeling Nailers, 4-3.
The Monarchs (25-20-1-1) took care of business on home ice and improved their record out of the division to 6-0-0-0 on the season with their win over the Nailers (20-21-5-1).
The Monarchs scored the first goal of the game at 6:47 of the first period. David Kolomatis held the puck at the point before passing it cross-ice to Nic Pierog, where he sent the puck over the shoulder of Nailers goaltender, Matt O'Connor, to net his 20th of the season and give the Monarchs a 1-0 lead.
Dane Birks tied the game with a shot from the blue line at 3:54 in the second period on his first goal of the season, slipping a shot past Monarchs goaltender, Charles Williams, tying the game, 1-1.
Pierog scored his second of the game and 21st of the season at 12:55 of the second period. Off another pass by Kolomatis, Chris Carlisle shot the puck from the top of the faceoff circle and Pierog caught a piece of the puck to tip it past O'Connor, to give the Monarchs a 2-1 lead.
The Nailers quickly responded with a power-play goal at 16:48 of the second period when Zac Lynch scored his 11th goal of the season. Lynch set up in front of the net and tipped a shot, past Williams, to make the score, 2-2.
The Monarchs regained the lead at 19:32 of the second period on Spencer Watson's 18th goal of the season. Tony Cameranesi carried the puck into the offensive zone and sent a cross-ice pass to Watson, who deked past O'Connor, and slid a shot past him, to make the score, 3-2.
Troy Josephs scored the third game-tying goal at 12:06 in the third period, when he redirected a pass from Robbie Hall, through the legs of Williams, making the score, 3-3.
David Kolomatis ended the game, just :56 seconds into overtime with his ninth goal of the season. While on the power play, Kolomatis found room in the slot and let a wrister go, just above the hashmarks, beating O'Connor to give the Monarchs a 4-3 victory.
The Monarchs return to action Saturday, February 9 at 6 p.m., when they take on the Cincinnati Cyclones for Pink in the Rink night at SNHU Arena. For tickets, Season Memberships and group tickets, please contact the Monarchs front office at 603-626-7825.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 8, 2019
- Rally Comes up Short in Loss at Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads Press Late, Fall 4-3 to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- McDonald Stops 33 Shots in 2-0 Shutout Victory against Allen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fitze, Tammela Score in 2-1 Win over IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wings Hang on to Complete Two-Game Sweep over Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Set Records in Dominant Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- SC Earns Point from OT Loss in Atlanta - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gladiators Set New Franchise Record in 2-1 OT Win, Improving Historic Point Streak to 12 Games - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thomas Pushes Scoring Streak to Eight as K-Wings Top Fuel 4-2 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Reichenbach's 45 Saves Propels Norfolk Past Reading 5-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Railers Throw Reversal on Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Hammer Nailers in Overtime, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Even Three-Game Set with 3-1 Win over Everblades - Adirondack Thunder
- Three Third Period Power Play Goals Pace Railers to 3-2 Comeback Win over Greenville - Worcester Railers HC
- Rough First Period Buries Mariners against Cyclones - Maine Mariners
- Luukko Scores Twice, Royals Drop, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Overtime Trips up Nailers in Manchester - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Shatter the Komets in a Shootout - Newfoundland Growlers
- G Booth Reassigned to Charlotte by Carolina - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - February 8 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Royals at Admirals, February 8, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Thunder Heads to Black Hills to Face Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Nailers at Monarchs Game Day Snap Shot, February 8 - Wheeling Nailers
- Preview: Everblades Battle Thunder, Shoot for Eighth Straight Home Win - Florida Everblades
- Nailers Receive Trevor Yates After AHL Trade - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Maine Mariners - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Wings and Fuel Square off in Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Royals Finish Back-To-Back Before Huge Home Weekend - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.