McDonald Stops 33 Shots in 2-0 Shutout Victory against Allen
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - The Kansas City Mavericks shutout the Allen Americans 2-0 Friday night at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena in Independence, MO. Mavericks goaltender Mason McDonald turned in a stellar performance, stopping all 33 shots by the Americans, leading to his second shutout in the last week. The Mavericks now sit at 4-2-1-0 on their current nine-game home stand.
The Mavericks broke through the scoreless tie with just under five minutes to go in the first period on a redirection from forward Rocco Carzo. Nate Widman got his third point in as many games with an assist on the goal and Jordan Klimek was also credited with an assist on the opening goal.
Cliff Watson added an unassisted empty net goal with just under a minute to go in the third period, but the story on this night was Kansas City goaltender Mason McDonald. McDonald stopped all 33 Allen shots to pick up his second shutout in a week. McDonald, the 34th overall pick in the 2014 NHL Draft, picked up this shutout exactly one week after his first shutout of the season last Friday against the South Carolina Stingrays.
The Mavericks now welcome the Kalamazoo Wings to Silverstein Eye Centers Arena on Saturday night. Faceoff for the game is 7:35 p.m. Then, the Mavericks wrap up their nine-game home stand against the Tulsa Oilers on Wednesday, a makeup game for the February 5th game that was postponed on account of weather. All tickets purchased for the February 5th game are good for Wednesday. For more information, visit kcmavericks.com or call 816-285-7825.
MAVS ONE TIMERS
-This is McDonald's second shutout of the week, and second overall this season. He stopped all 19 shots against the South Carolina Stingrays last Friday night in a 4-0 KC victory.
-Nate Widman continued his points streak to three games after notching an assist on Carzo's game-winner in the waning moments of the first period.
-The Mavericks now sit at 4-2-1 on their current nine-game home stand with two games left against Kalamazoo Saturday and Tulsa Wednesday.
-Mason McDonald has 130 saves on his last 139 shots faced in five games, good for a .935 save percentage since returning from injured reserve two weeks ago.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 8, 2019
- Rally Comes up Short in Loss at Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads Press Late, Fall 4-3 to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- McDonald Stops 33 Shots in 2-0 Shutout Victory against Allen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fitze, Tammela Score in 2-1 Win over IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wings Hang on to Complete Two-Game Sweep over Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Set Records in Dominant Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- SC Earns Point from OT Loss in Atlanta - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gladiators Set New Franchise Record in 2-1 OT Win, Improving Historic Point Streak to 12 Games - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thomas Pushes Scoring Streak to Eight as K-Wings Top Fuel 4-2 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Reichenbach's 45 Saves Propels Norfolk Past Reading 5-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Railers Throw Reversal on Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Hammer Nailers in Overtime, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Even Three-Game Set with 3-1 Win over Everblades - Adirondack Thunder
- Three Third Period Power Play Goals Pace Railers to 3-2 Comeback Win over Greenville - Worcester Railers HC
- Rough First Period Buries Mariners against Cyclones - Maine Mariners
- Luukko Scores Twice, Royals Drop, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Overtime Trips up Nailers in Manchester - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Shatter the Komets in a Shootout - Newfoundland Growlers
- G Booth Reassigned to Charlotte by Carolina - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - February 8 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Royals at Admirals, February 8, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Thunder Heads to Black Hills to Face Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Nailers at Monarchs Game Day Snap Shot, February 8 - Wheeling Nailers
- Preview: Everblades Battle Thunder, Shoot for Eighth Straight Home Win - Florida Everblades
- Nailers Receive Trevor Yates After AHL Trade - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Maine Mariners - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Wings and Fuel Square off in Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Royals Finish Back-To-Back Before Huge Home Weekend - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.