Growlers Shatter the Komets in a Shootout
The Newfoundland Growlers needed extra time for the first time on Mile One Centre ice in franchise history Friday night taking a 3-2 shootout decision over the Fort Wayne Komets in the first of a three-game weekend series.
Adam Pardy kicked things off early by one-timing a blast past former Growler Eric Levine at 1:46 of the first period giving the Growlers a 1-0 lead. Josh Kestner looked to double the Growlers lead at 9:45 of the opening period, but was robbed by Levine on his breakaway attempt.
J.C. Campagna tied the game with his 22nd of the season squeaking the puck short-side on Eamon McAdam at 11:02.
Kristians Rubins re-stored the Growlers lead with 5:27 remaining in the first period after firing a point shot through traffic giving the home team a 2-1 lead after 20 minutes of play.
The second period was scoreless, despite the Growlers having four power plays. Matt Bradley looked to have put the Growlers up 3-1 at 7:12 of the second period, but the goal was waved off due to a Growlers player in the goal crease.
J.C. Campagna fired his second of the night past McAdam at 10:18 of the third period tying the game at 2-2, which stood as the only goal in the third period and the goal that sent the game into extra time.
A five-minute three-on-three overtime solved nothing, so a shootout was needed where Scott Pooley fired the winner past Levine in the seventh-round for a 3-2 Growlers win.
Sam Jardine made his Growlers debut after being re-assigned by the Toronto Marlies
The Growlers were 0/7 on the power play
The three stars were 3 - J. Campagna (FW), 2 - K. Rubins (NFL) and 1 - S. Pooley (NFL)
The Newfoundland Growlers continue their seven-game homestand Saturday night with a rematch against the Komets. Puck drop is 7 p.m. Tickets are available at mileonecentre.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 8, 2019
- Rally Comes up Short in Loss at Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads Press Late, Fall 4-3 to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- McDonald Stops 33 Shots in 2-0 Shutout Victory against Allen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fitze, Tammela Score in 2-1 Win over IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wings Hang on to Complete Two-Game Sweep over Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Set Records in Dominant Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- SC Earns Point from OT Loss in Atlanta - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gladiators Set New Franchise Record in 2-1 OT Win, Improving Historic Point Streak to 12 Games - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thomas Pushes Scoring Streak to Eight as K-Wings Top Fuel 4-2 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Reichenbach's 45 Saves Propels Norfolk Past Reading 5-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Railers Throw Reversal on Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Hammer Nailers in Overtime, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Even Three-Game Set with 3-1 Win over Everblades - Adirondack Thunder
- Three Third Period Power Play Goals Pace Railers to 3-2 Comeback Win over Greenville - Worcester Railers HC
- Rough First Period Buries Mariners against Cyclones - Maine Mariners
- Luukko Scores Twice, Royals Drop, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Overtime Trips up Nailers in Manchester - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Shatter the Komets in a Shootout - Newfoundland Growlers
- G Booth Reassigned to Charlotte by Carolina - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - February 8 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Royals at Admirals, February 8, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Thunder Heads to Black Hills to Face Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Nailers at Monarchs Game Day Snap Shot, February 8 - Wheeling Nailers
- Preview: Everblades Battle Thunder, Shoot for Eighth Straight Home Win - Florida Everblades
- Nailers Receive Trevor Yates After AHL Trade - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Maine Mariners - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Wings and Fuel Square off in Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Royals Finish Back-To-Back Before Huge Home Weekend - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Newfoundland Growlers Stories
- Round Two Schedule Announced, Growlers Face-Off against Monarchs
- Growlers Tame the Beast, Advance to Second Round
- Beast Force Game Six at Mile One Centre
- Beast Force Game 5 as the Growlers Lose 4-1
- O'Brien Scores in Double Overtime, Growlers Lead Series 3-0