Gladiators Set New Franchise Record in 2-1 OT Win, Improving Historic Point Streak to 12 Games
DULUTH, GA - On the first pajama night in the history of hockey, the Gladiators did good in their community after the first goal of the night when the ice was littered with PJs. Beyond that, the hottest team in the ECHL continued to provide a thrilling product on the ice as they set the franchise record with points in 12 straight games after Justin MacDonald scored the overtime winner giving Atlanta the weekend sweep of South Carolina and the 2-1 win.
Goaltender Michael Bitzer made his second start for the Gladiators and first at Infinite Energy Arena. Both he and South Carolina's goalie, Parker Milner stood tall in goal early to settle into the game. A slew of penalties on both teams tested the penalty kill units for each squad, but it was Atlanta at even strength that struck first. Nick Bligh fluttered a puck into the nearside corner before defenseman Zach Malatesta gathered it. He snuck behind the net before twirling a pass to Joe Widmar in the crease. His one-timer beat the defending ECHL Goalie of the Year to give Atlanta the early advantage with 5:37 to play in the opening frame and send the PJs flying to the ice.
The visitors began the middle period as the team with more energy on the ice. Atlanta weathered the storm and even had a few quality chances to double their lead. It was eventually a juicy chance in front of Bitzer's net that was finished by Grant Besse to level the game with 11:14 to play in the second period.
An intense third period produced plenty of chances for both sides, but ended in a stalemate and forced a second overtime period in as many days. After Bitzer and Milner produced a tight contest through 60 minutes, it took just :31 seconds for the game to end in overtime. Filip Pyrochta had an open look on net before dishing to Brett McKenzie. The Ottawa, ON native put on the breaks and found the streaking Justin MacDonald trailing the play. He drifted to the side of the net before ripping the game-winner through the Stingray goaltender and earning Atlanta the thrilling victory.
With the win, the Gladiators broke a franchise record for points in consecutive games. Friday night marked the twelfth straight contest with at least a point, breaking the previous record from the 2005-06 season.
Atlanta plays their third game in a row Saturday night as they visit the Norfolk Admirals at 7:00 PM. The Gladiators return home Wednesday evening as they host their first out-of-division opponent in the Newfoundland Growlers.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 8, 2019
- Rally Comes up Short in Loss at Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads Press Late, Fall 4-3 to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- McDonald Stops 33 Shots in 2-0 Shutout Victory against Allen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fitze, Tammela Score in 2-1 Win over IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wings Hang on to Complete Two-Game Sweep over Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Set Records in Dominant Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- SC Earns Point from OT Loss in Atlanta - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gladiators Set New Franchise Record in 2-1 OT Win, Improving Historic Point Streak to 12 Games - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thomas Pushes Scoring Streak to Eight as K-Wings Top Fuel 4-2 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Reichenbach's 45 Saves Propels Norfolk Past Reading 5-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Railers Throw Reversal on Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Hammer Nailers in Overtime, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Even Three-Game Set with 3-1 Win over Everblades - Adirondack Thunder
- Three Third Period Power Play Goals Pace Railers to 3-2 Comeback Win over Greenville - Worcester Railers HC
- Rough First Period Buries Mariners against Cyclones - Maine Mariners
- Luukko Scores Twice, Royals Drop, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Overtime Trips up Nailers in Manchester - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Shatter the Komets in a Shootout - Newfoundland Growlers
- G Booth Reassigned to Charlotte by Carolina - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - February 8 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Royals at Admirals, February 8, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Thunder Heads to Black Hills to Face Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Nailers at Monarchs Game Day Snap Shot, February 8 - Wheeling Nailers
- Preview: Everblades Battle Thunder, Shoot for Eighth Straight Home Win - Florida Everblades
- Nailers Receive Trevor Yates After AHL Trade - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Maine Mariners - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Wings and Fuel Square off in Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Royals Finish Back-To-Back Before Huge Home Weekend - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta Gladiators Stories
- Jerry James Promoted to Team President
- Glads Rally for Postseason Falls Just Short
- Predators Prospect Inks Deal with Atlanta
- South Carolina Survives with Home Victory Setting up Winner-Take-All Game Tomorrow
- Bonar Steals Crucial Point for Atlanta with Miraculous Performance in Net