Fitze, Tammela Score in 2-1 Win over IceMen
ORLANDO, Fla. - Dylan Fitze and Jonne Tammela scored in the first period and Martin Ouellette came up with 27 saves as the Orlando Solar Bears (24-18-3-0) picked up a 2-1 win over the Jacksonville Icemen (24-21-1-2) on Friday night at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center.
Click here for the box score.
Fitze opened the scoring late in the first period when he backhanded an Alexander Kuqali rebound through the crease and past Jacksonville netminder Tanner Jaillet at 17:47 for his eighth of the season.
Tammela then made it 2-0 with his 13th of the season when he snapped a shot past Jaillet from the left wing at 18:58.
Christophe Lalancette got the Icemen on the board exactly at the 10:00 mark of the third period when he snapped a shot over the glove-side shoulder of Ouellette.
With Jaillet pulled for an extra skater in Jacksonville's bid to tie the score, the Solar Bears hung on until the final seconds of regulation. Orlando secured the two points as Chris LeBlanc won a critical defensive zone faceoff and the defense pinned the puck into the corner as time expired.
Ouellette earned the win with 27 saves on 28 shots against; Jaillet took the loss with 34 saves on 36 shots against.
1) Martin Ouellette - ORL
2) Dylan Fitze - ORL
3) Alexander Kuqali - ORL
Orlando improved to 6-2-0-0 on the season against the Icemen with the victory - the two teams are now tied in points (51), although Jacksonville maintains its third-place seed due to the tiebreaker of more regulation and overtime wins. The Solar Bears are also a lifetime 8-0-0-0 against the Icemen at home.
Both Fitze and Tammela now have two-game goal streaks (2g).
Mike Monfredo's assist on Tammela's goal gives the defenseman a four-game point streak (1g-3a).
NEXT GAMES: The Solar Bears hit the road to battle the Icemen tomorrow, Feb. 9 at 7 p.m. at Veterans Memorial Arena. Orlando's next home game is Single & Mingle Night against the Icemen on Friday, Feb. 15 at 7 p.m. CLICK HERE to purchase tickets for the game.
Fighting Four Packs presented by CenturyLink:
Gear up for the second half of the 2018-19 season with a Fighting Four Pack, presented by CenturyLink! Pick any four remaining home games and get $65 dollars in gift certificates to Dick's Sporting Goods, First Watch, QDOBA Mexican Eats and a FREE center ice ticket to the Saturday, Feb. 23 game against the Greenville Swamp Rabbits, part of Hockey Fights Cancer Weekend, presented by XYMOPrint. Packs start as low as $69.99 - CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE.
2018-19 Season Presented by XYMOPrint:
The Orlando Solar Bears are proud to have local digital printing experts XYMOPrint as the presenting sponsor of the 2018-19 season. As a special offer, fans who call XYMOPrint at (888) 223-9390 from now until June 15, 2019 and reference the Solar Bears will receive 30% off their first order of 500 business cards.
2018-19 Single-Game Tickets Now on Sale:
Single-game tickets for the Orlando Solar Bears 2018-19 regular season home schedule are now on sale. Fans can purchase single-game tickets for as little as $15 at the Amway Center box office, or online at Ticketmaster.com.
2018-19 Season Ticket Memberships:
Season Ticket Memberships for the seventh season of ECHL Orlando Solar Bears hockey are now on sale. Full and Half-Season memberships are both available, starting as low as $270. For more information, call (407) 951-8200 or visit orlandosolarbearshockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 8, 2019
- Rally Comes up Short in Loss at Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads Press Late, Fall 4-3 to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- McDonald Stops 33 Shots in 2-0 Shutout Victory against Allen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fitze, Tammela Score in 2-1 Win over IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wings Hang on to Complete Two-Game Sweep over Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Set Records in Dominant Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- SC Earns Point from OT Loss in Atlanta - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gladiators Set New Franchise Record in 2-1 OT Win, Improving Historic Point Streak to 12 Games - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thomas Pushes Scoring Streak to Eight as K-Wings Top Fuel 4-2 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Reichenbach's 45 Saves Propels Norfolk Past Reading 5-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Railers Throw Reversal on Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Hammer Nailers in Overtime, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Even Three-Game Set with 3-1 Win over Everblades - Adirondack Thunder
- Three Third Period Power Play Goals Pace Railers to 3-2 Comeback Win over Greenville - Worcester Railers HC
- Rough First Period Buries Mariners against Cyclones - Maine Mariners
- Luukko Scores Twice, Royals Drop, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Overtime Trips up Nailers in Manchester - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Shatter the Komets in a Shootout - Newfoundland Growlers
- G Booth Reassigned to Charlotte by Carolina - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - February 8 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Royals at Admirals, February 8, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Thunder Heads to Black Hills to Face Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Nailers at Monarchs Game Day Snap Shot, February 8 - Wheeling Nailers
- Preview: Everblades Battle Thunder, Shoot for Eighth Straight Home Win - Florida Everblades
- Nailers Receive Trevor Yates After AHL Trade - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Maine Mariners - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Wings and Fuel Square off in Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Royals Finish Back-To-Back Before Huge Home Weekend - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.