Preview: Everblades Battle Thunder, Shoot for Eighth Straight Home Win
Florida Everblades battle the Adirondack Thunder
(Florida Everblades, Credit: Kevin Bires Photography)
ESTERO, Fla. - The ECHL-leading Florida Everblades (33-9-5-0, 71 pts.) aim for their eighth straight home victory when they host the Adirondack Thunder (25-17-3-2, 55 pts.) on Friday night in the middle game of a three-game set at Hertz Arena.
Game 48: Everblades vs. Adirondack
When: 7:30 p.m. ET
Where: Hertz Arena
Listen: 99.3 ESPN
Social: Twitter | #ADKvsFLA
Last Time Out
Adirondack scored first, but Florida rattled off the final three goals of the game to top the Thunder, 3-1, on Wednesday in the first-ever regular season meeting between the teams at Hertz Arena. Jeremy Helvig made 19 saves to earn his 13th straight win, while Steven Lorentz posted a goal and an assist in his first game back after missing 25 games while on a call-up to the AHL's Charlotte Checkers. John McCarron had two assists for his 12th multi-point game of the season.
BOX SCORE | RECAP
Players to Watch
Steven Lorentz (FLA) - The second-year forward posted his seventh multi-point game of the season on Wednesday and leads the 'Blades with a 1.28 points-per-game average this season. The Waterloo, Ontario, native posted his ninth goal of the season on Wednesday, and Florida is now 8-0-0-0 this season when he finds the back of the net.
John Edwardh (ADK) - The UMass-Lowell product netted his 16th goal of the season on Wednesday. His goal total and point total (36) are both good for second among all Thunder players. The rookie has notched multiple points in seven games this season, including a career-best four-point night on Oct. 13 against Maine.
Including this week's series, Florida and Adirondack have faced off in three consecutive seasons. Although the 'Blades went 1-1-0-1 in last year's three-game set in the regular season from Jan. 24-27, they went on to top the Thunder in five games in the best-of-seven Eastern Conference Final. Florida split its two home games in that series, earning a 4-3 win in Game 1 before falling in overtime, 3-2, in Game 2. Florida is 3-2-1 all-time against the Thunder and 29-19-3 all-time against current North Division teams.
As Joe Goes
Everblades alternate captain Joe Cox is tied for fifth in the ECHL in scoring with 49 points (22g-27a) and has also been an indicator of the 'Blades success. When the 'Blades leading goal scorer has registered a goal this season, Florida is 17-0-0-0. When he has gone without a tally, Florida is 16-9-5. The second-year pro has already matched his goal total from his rookie season and is just five points shy of his rookie point total.
Penalty Kill Prowess
Although Florida's penalty kill has struggled away from home this season, its penalty kill has excelled on home ice. The 'Blades rank third in the ECHL for home penalty kill and check in at an impressive 89.0 percent (73-for-82) conversion rate at Hertz Arena. Since allowing power-play goals in three straight home games against Atlanta from Jan. 2-5, Florida has now killed off 20 consecutive penalties over the last six home games.
Fridays have posed a challenge for the Everblades this season. Entering Friday's tilt with Adirondack, Florida has had six of its nine losses occur on a Friday, while both regulation defeats at home have been on a Friday. The 'Blades are 8-6-2 on Fridays, a point percentage of .563. On all other days of the week, Florida is 25-3-3, a point percentage of .854.
Friday's broadcast against Adirondack will air on 99.3 FM ESPN. The change in the station is just for Friday's game, and WJBX will continue to be the home of 'Blades hockey in the 2018-19 season. Both 99.3 ESPN and WJBX are owned and operated by Beasley Media Group. Fans can listen live online at 993espn.com.
The Everblades finish off the three-game series with Adirondack with Pink in the Rink on Saturday night. There will be a free pregame tailgate from 5-7 p.m. featuring live music from Brandon Maddox. Faceoff is slated for 7 p.m.
Single-game tickets for all regular season home games start at just $10!
Kelly Cup Playoff packages and 2019-20 season ticket packages are on sale now! Become part of the Everblades Family with a Partial Season or a Flexible Voucher Package that fits your schedule and budget! All Ticket & Voucher Packages provide savings and special benefits!
SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new ticket package for the 2018-19 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford's Garage and an Everblades tote bag!
Private Arena Tours are also available to select your season seats! Call the Everblades office at 239-948-7825 to schedule your tour today!
Images from this story
Florida Everblades battle the Adirondack Thunder
(Kevin Bires Photography)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 8, 2019
- Rally Comes up Short in Loss at Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads Press Late, Fall 4-3 to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- McDonald Stops 33 Shots in 2-0 Shutout Victory against Allen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fitze, Tammela Score in 2-1 Win over IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wings Hang on to Complete Two-Game Sweep over Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Set Records in Dominant Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- SC Earns Point from OT Loss in Atlanta - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gladiators Set New Franchise Record in 2-1 OT Win, Improving Historic Point Streak to 12 Games - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thomas Pushes Scoring Streak to Eight as K-Wings Top Fuel 4-2 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Reichenbach's 45 Saves Propels Norfolk Past Reading 5-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Railers Throw Reversal on Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Hammer Nailers in Overtime, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Even Three-Game Set with 3-1 Win over Everblades - Adirondack Thunder
- Three Third Period Power Play Goals Pace Railers to 3-2 Comeback Win over Greenville - Worcester Railers HC
- Rough First Period Buries Mariners against Cyclones - Maine Mariners
- Luukko Scores Twice, Royals Drop, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Overtime Trips up Nailers in Manchester - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Shatter the Komets in a Shootout - Newfoundland Growlers
- G Booth Reassigned to Charlotte by Carolina - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - February 8 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Royals at Admirals, February 8, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Thunder Heads to Black Hills to Face Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Nailers at Monarchs Game Day Snap Shot, February 8 - Wheeling Nailers
- Preview: Everblades Battle Thunder, Shoot for Eighth Straight Home Win - Florida Everblades
- Nailers Receive Trevor Yates After AHL Trade - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Maine Mariners - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Wings and Fuel Square off in Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Royals Finish Back-To-Back Before Huge Home Weekend - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- 'Blades Wrap up Homestand with Rivalry Tilt against Orlando
- This Week: Homestand Wraps up Wednesday as Part of 4-Game Week
- Everblades' Big Rally Not Enough in 4-3 Loss to IceMen
- Preview: 'Blades Close Weekend with Military Night Matchup against IceMen
- Comeback Win-Iecki: Everblades Outlast Solar Bears in Overtime