Steelheads Press Late, Fall 4-3 to Grizzlies
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah - The Idaho Steelheads (29-16-3) looked to mount a late comeback, but the effort fell short in a 4-3 loss to the Utah Grizzlies (29-13-5) on Friday night from Maverik Center.
The Steelheads and Grizzlies started the night with an extra sense of urgency and physicality, but it took just over three-quarters of a period to find the opening tally. At 15:10, Grizzlies forward J.T. Henke wrapped a rebound around the netminder to take a 1-0 lead.
The Steelheads found an answer early in the second period at 2:17 when forward Alex Dahl fed forward Reid Petryk for a one-time shot in the slot to level the score at 1-1. Henke picked up his second goal of the night at 11:28 on the power play, and Grizzlies defenseman Turner Ottenbreit doubled the advantage 3-1, at 18:32 with a shot from the blue line off the left post.
The comeback bid for the Steelheads began at 11:43 of the third period when forward Steve McParland was opened above the right circle for a one-time shot into an open net to draw within one, 3-2. Grizzlies forward Caleb Herbert scored in an empty net at 18:49 with the netminder pulled to double the lead, but Steelheads forward A.J. White kept the comeback alive with a tally in the high slot with the Idaho net empty at 19:30, cutting the lead back to one at 4-3. However, the Grizzlies held off a late opportunity to edge out the win.
Grizzlies goaltender Kevin Carr (16-5-2) halted 20 of 23 shots in the win, while Steelheads netminder Tomas Sholl (15-9-0) stopped 30 of 33 shots in the loss.
The Steelheads and Grizzlies finish their weekend series on Saturday, Feb. 9 at 7:05 p.m. from Maverik Center. Coverage begins at 6:45 p.m. on 1350AM KTIK and ECHL TV.
The Steelheads return to CenturyLink Arena on Wednesday, Feb. 13 at 7:10 p.m. to open a three-game weekend against the Rapid City Rush. Single-game tickets and season ticket packages are on sale, with full-season packages starting as low as $300 per seat. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 8, 2019
- Rally Comes up Short in Loss at Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads Press Late, Fall 4-3 to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- McDonald Stops 33 Shots in 2-0 Shutout Victory against Allen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fitze, Tammela Score in 2-1 Win over IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wings Hang on to Complete Two-Game Sweep over Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Set Records in Dominant Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- SC Earns Point from OT Loss in Atlanta - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gladiators Set New Franchise Record in 2-1 OT Win, Improving Historic Point Streak to 12 Games - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thomas Pushes Scoring Streak to Eight as K-Wings Top Fuel 4-2 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Reichenbach's 45 Saves Propels Norfolk Past Reading 5-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Railers Throw Reversal on Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Hammer Nailers in Overtime, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Even Three-Game Set with 3-1 Win over Everblades - Adirondack Thunder
- Three Third Period Power Play Goals Pace Railers to 3-2 Comeback Win over Greenville - Worcester Railers HC
- Rough First Period Buries Mariners against Cyclones - Maine Mariners
- Luukko Scores Twice, Royals Drop, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Overtime Trips up Nailers in Manchester - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Shatter the Komets in a Shootout - Newfoundland Growlers
- G Booth Reassigned to Charlotte by Carolina - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - February 8 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Royals at Admirals, February 8, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Thunder Heads to Black Hills to Face Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Nailers at Monarchs Game Day Snap Shot, February 8 - Wheeling Nailers
- Preview: Everblades Battle Thunder, Shoot for Eighth Straight Home Win - Florida Everblades
- Nailers Receive Trevor Yates After AHL Trade - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Maine Mariners - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Wings and Fuel Square off in Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Royals Finish Back-To-Back Before Huge Home Weekend - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.