Steelheads Press Late, Fall 4-3 to Grizzlies
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah - The Idaho Steelheads (29-16-3) looked to mount a late comeback, but the effort fell short in a 4-3 loss to the Utah Grizzlies (29-13-5) on Friday night from Maverik Center.
The Steelheads and Grizzlies started the night with an extra sense of urgency and physicality, but it took just over three-quarters of a period to find the opening tally. At 15:10, Grizzlies forward J.T. Henke wrapped a rebound around the netminder to take a 1-0 lead.
The Steelheads found an answer early in the second period at 2:17 when forward Alex Dahl fed forward Reid Petryk for a one-time shot in the slot to level the score at 1-1. Henke picked up his second goal of the night at 11:28 on the power play, and Grizzlies defenseman Turner Ottenbreit doubled the advantage 3-1, at 18:32 with a shot from the blue line off the left post.
The comeback bid for the Steelheads began at 11:43 of the third period when forward Steve McParland was opened above the right circle for a one-time shot into an open net to draw within one, 3-2. Grizzlies forward Caleb Herbert scored in an empty net at 18:49 with the netminder pulled to double the lead, but Steelheads forward A.J. White kept the comeback alive with a tally in the high slot with the Idaho net empty at 19:30, cutting the lead back to one at 4-3. However, the Grizzlies held off a late opportunity to edge out the win.
Grizzlies goaltender Kevin Carr (16-5-2) halted 20 of 23 shots in the win, while Steelheads netminder Tomas Sholl (15-9-0) stopped 30 of 33 shots in the loss.
The Steelheads and Grizzlies finish their weekend series on Saturday, Feb. 9 at 7:05 p.m. from Maverik Center. Coverage begins at 6:45 p.m. on 1350AM KTIK and ECHL TV.
The Steelheads return to CenturyLink Arena on Wednesday, Feb. 13 at 7:10 p.m. to open a three-game weekend against the Rapid City Rush. Single-game tickets and season ticket packages are on sale, with full-season packages starting as low as $300 per seat. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 8, 2019
- Rally Comes up Short in Loss at Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads Press Late, Fall 4-3 to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- McDonald Stops 33 Shots in 2-0 Shutout Victory against Allen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fitze, Tammela Score in 2-1 Win over IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Wings Hang on to Complete Two-Game Sweep over Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Set Records in Dominant Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- SC Earns Point from OT Loss in Atlanta - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gladiators Set New Franchise Record in 2-1 OT Win, Improving Historic Point Streak to 12 Games - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thomas Pushes Scoring Streak to Eight as K-Wings Top Fuel 4-2 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Reichenbach's 45 Saves Propels Norfolk Past Reading 5-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Railers Throw Reversal on Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Hammer Nailers in Overtime, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Even Three-Game Set with 3-1 Win over Everblades - Adirondack Thunder
- Three Third Period Power Play Goals Pace Railers to 3-2 Comeback Win over Greenville - Worcester Railers HC
- Rough First Period Buries Mariners against Cyclones - Maine Mariners
- Luukko Scores Twice, Royals Drop, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Overtime Trips up Nailers in Manchester - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Shatter the Komets in a Shootout - Newfoundland Growlers
- G Booth Reassigned to Charlotte by Carolina - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - February 8 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Royals at Admirals, February 8, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Thunder Heads to Black Hills to Face Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Nailers at Monarchs Game Day Snap Shot, February 8 - Wheeling Nailers
- Preview: Everblades Battle Thunder, Shoot for Eighth Straight Home Win - Florida Everblades
- Nailers Receive Trevor Yates After AHL Trade - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Maine Mariners - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Wings and Fuel Square off in Indy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Royals Finish Back-To-Back Before Huge Home Weekend - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Goaltender Matt Jurusik Joins Steelheads
- ECHL Confirms Start Date for 2020-21 Season
- Forward Calder Brooks and Defenseman Darren Brady Join Steelheads
- Idaho Central Arena: New Name, New Updates Coming to Downtown Boise
- Forward Brett Supinski Returns to Steelheads