Omaha Mashes Nashville 11-3
The Storm Chasers erupted for eight runs in the first inning, including a two-run single from shortstop Humberto Arteaga and a two-run triple by right fielder Brett Phillips, while right-hander Zach Lovvorn tossed six solid innings of relief in Omaha's 11-3 win over the Nashville Sounds on Saturday night at Werner Park.
Arteaga and C Nick Dini each drove in two runs as part of the massive scoring spurt prior to 3B Erick Mejia capping the big inning with a two-run triple to right. Following Nashville C Jett Bandy's solo homer in the fifth, Phillips smashed his two-run three-bagger to left, his team-leading ninth triple of the year, to extend the Omaha advantage to 10-1. Sounds LF Scott Heineman would later crush a two-run homer to left in the sixth, though the Storm Chasers provided the final blow courtesy of Flores' run-scoring single to left in the seventh.
Bonifacio (3-5, 2 R, RBI) and Flores (3-4, 2 R, 2 RBI) paced Omaha's order with three knocks apiece, while Arteaga (2-5, 2 R, 2 RBI), Mejia (2-5, 3B, 2 RBI) and Phillips (2-3, R, 3B, 2 RBI, BB) added multi-hit efforts as well. Heineman (3-3, R, HR, 2 RBI) and 3B Matt Davidson each posted two hits for the Sounds.
Lovvorn (6.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, BB, 4 K) earned the victory with six quality innings of relief after Kyle Zimmer (1.0 IP, K) opened with a perfect first frame. Chasers righty Yunior Marte finished off the final two innings, while Nashville starter Tim Dillard (6.0 IP, 13 H, 10 R, 10 ER, 2 BB, K) suffered the defeat.
The two teams are slated to complete their four-game set on Sunday afternoon, with Omaha going for the series sweep. First pitch at Werner Park is scheduled for 2:05pm CT.
Tickets for that game and all remaining Storm Chasers home contests can be purchased online at www.omahastormchasers.com, or by calling the Werner Park Ticket Office from noon until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 6, 2019
- Late Bees Rally Falls Short to El Paso - Salt Lake Bees
- Redbirds Earn Saturday Night Win at Iowa - Memphis Redbirds
- Chasers Smash Sounds 9-2 in Front of 8,002 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Omaha Mashes Nashville 11-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Iowa Falls to Memphis 5-4 - Iowa Cubs
- Dodgers Win Fourth Straight Game - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Oklahoma City Tops Round Rock in Lopsided 7-3 Victory - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Drops Third Straight to Omaha - Nashville Sounds
- Isotopes, Aviators Suspended Due to Rain - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Missions Gobble up 'Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Spangenberg Leads San Antonio Past Baby Cakes - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (38-49) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (40-48) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes vs. Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Chihuahuas Announce Jarritos Triple-A Home Run Derby Autograph Session - El Paso Chihuahuas
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 6, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- A's Recall Aviators Pitcher Paul Blackburn - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (35-53) at Iowa Cubs (51-37) - Memphis Redbirds
- Decker's Fireworks Lead Aces to Victory - Reno Aces
- Walk-off homer dooms River Cats in slugfest - Sacramento River Cats
- "Shaky" night in Fresno ends with 8-1 Tacoma victory - Fresno Grizzlies
- Nolin Dominant as Rainiers Handle Fresno with Two-Hit Effort - Tacoma Rainiers
- Chasers Silence Sounds 1-0 in Front of 9,023 - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Omaha Storm Chasers Stories
- "50 Summers" Selected for 14th Annual Baseball Film Festival at National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum
- Chasers, USL Omaha Announce Addition of Ryan Querry as Chief Revenue Officer
- Chasers Shut out Express 6-0 in 2019 Finale
- Express Topple Chasers 5-3
- Chasers Halt Express 4-0