Chasers Smash Sounds 9-2 in Front of 8,002
Storm Chasers designated hitter Erick Mejia and center fielder Brett Phillips each drove in two runs and catcher Nick Dini homered in support of starting pitcher Arnaldo Hernandez 's five-plus shutout innings in Omaha's 9-2 win over the Nashville Sounds in front of 8,002 fans on Friday night at Werner Park.
Omaha started the scoring in the opening frame via 1B Ryan O'Hearn 's RBI single to left-center. That one-run margin would remain the same until single tallies in the fifth and sixth innings, including Dini's solo blast in the fifth, extended the advantage to three. Mejia would then slap a two-run triple to right as part of a three-run seventh to make it a 6-0 lead.
Nashville would end the Storm Chasers' hopes of consecutive shutouts in the eighth with a single score. Omaha, however, would strike right back with a trio of tallies in the last of the eighth, highlighted by Phillips' two-run tripe to right-center.
Mejia (2-4, 3 R, 2B, 3B, 2 RBI) was the lone Storm Chasers batter to record a multi-hit effort, while Phillips (1-2, 2 R, 3B, 2 RBI, 2 BB) reached base three times. Nashville LF Scott Heineman (3-3, R, 2B, 3B, BB) posted a game-high three hits in the contest.
Hernandez (5.1 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 4 K) earned the win with 5.1 scoreless innings of work, snapping his three-game losing skid, with Josh Staumont (1.2 IP, H, R, ER, 2 BB, K) and Richard Lovelady (2.0 IP, H, R, ER, 3 K) finishing the job. Sounds starter Austin Bibens-Dirkx (5.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, BB, 5 K) suffered the defeat.
The two teams are expected to square off again on Saturday evening for the third game of their four-game set. First pitch at Werner Park is scheduled for 7:05pm CT.
Tickets for that game and all remaining Storm Chasers home contests can be purchased online at www.omahastormchasers.com, or by calling the Werner Park Ticket Office from noon until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 6, 2019
- Late Bees Rally Falls Short to El Paso - Salt Lake Bees
- Redbirds Earn Saturday Night Win at Iowa - Memphis Redbirds
- Chasers Smash Sounds 9-2 in Front of 8,002 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Omaha Mashes Nashville 11-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Iowa Falls to Memphis 5-4 - Iowa Cubs
- Dodgers Win Fourth Straight Game - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Oklahoma City Tops Round Rock in Lopsided 7-3 Victory - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Drops Third Straight to Omaha - Nashville Sounds
- Isotopes, Aviators Suspended Due to Rain - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Missions Gobble up 'Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Spangenberg Leads San Antonio Past Baby Cakes - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (38-49) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (40-48) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes vs. Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Chihuahuas Announce Jarritos Triple-A Home Run Derby Autograph Session - El Paso Chihuahuas
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 6, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- A's Recall Aviators Pitcher Paul Blackburn - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (35-53) at Iowa Cubs (51-37) - Memphis Redbirds
- Decker's Fireworks Lead Aces to Victory - Reno Aces
- Walk-off homer dooms River Cats in slugfest - Sacramento River Cats
- "Shaky" night in Fresno ends with 8-1 Tacoma victory - Fresno Grizzlies
- Nolin Dominant as Rainiers Handle Fresno with Two-Hit Effort - Tacoma Rainiers
- Chasers Silence Sounds 1-0 in Front of 9,023 - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Omaha Storm Chasers Stories
- "Why I Want to Go to College" Writing Contest Winners Announced
- Chasers Charities Announces Robinson Scholarship Winners
- Drive-In Fireworks Return to Werner Park on May 9
- Storm Chasers Join MiLB CommUNITY First Campaign
- Werner Park to be Ready for Opening Night