Norfolk Scores 14 Unanswered Runs in Comeback Win
NORFOLK, Va. - The Norfolk Tides (69-69) defeated the Charlotte Knights (54-84), 14-6, on Thursday at Harbor Park. The Tides have now won 15 of their last 19 games and have won six straight games this season vs. the Knights.
Charlotte started fast, scoring five unanswered runs to start the game. In the first, Carlos Perez knocked in the first run of the game on an RBI single. Lenyn Sosa launched a two-run homer in the third, then Mark Parton knocked an RBI single in the fifth and later scored on an error to make it 5-0, Knights
The comeback for the Tides began in the bottom of the fifth when Brett Phillips launched a three-run homer. In the sixth, Robert Neustrom led off with a home run. Anthony Bemboom would score later in the inning on an error to tie the game. The next batter was Jordan Westburg, who blasted a two-run homer to center field to give the Tides a 7-5 lead.
Norfolk didn't stop there, as Neustrom knocked a two-run single in the seventh and later scored on an RBI ground out by Greg Cullen. One more run would score in the inning when Cadyn Grenier scored on a wild pitch to make it 10-5, Tides.
Capping the Tides scoring in the eighth was Neustrom, who launched his second homer of the day, a three-run shot, to give the Tides 14 unanswered run. Nick Ciuffo hit a solo home run in the ninth, but that would be all as Norfolk defeated Charlotte, 14-6
Game four of the six-game series is set for tomorrow at 7:05 p.m. The Tides have yet to announce a probable, while RHP Scott Blewett (0-0, 20.25) is scheduled to start for Charlotte.
NEUS-BOMB: Leading the Tides in offensive production today was Robert Neustrom, who went 3-for-5 with three runs, two home runs and six RBI...he becomes the ninth Tides player this season to hit multiple homers in a game, with the last being Jordan Westburg on August 23 at Jacksonville.
HOT, HOT, HOT: The Tides have scored 10 runs in three straight games and in four straight home games...the three consecutive games with 10 plus runs is the first time the Tides have done so since July 30 - August 1, 1995...only nine players on the Tides active roster were alive when that last happened.
THE GRASS IS GRENIER: With three walks today, Cadyn Grenier walked three times, setting the single-season record for most walks in a season as an Orioles affiliate (since 2007)...he's at 61 currently, topping th 58 by LJ Hoes in 2013.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 15, 2022
- Buffalo Battles Back from Early Deficit to Beat Syracuse, 12-7, on Thursday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Saints Bested by Bats for Second Straight Night, 5-2 - St. Paul Saints
- Iowa Wins Second Straight - Iowa Cubs
- Key Hits Lead Bats to 5-2 Win in St. Paul - Louisville Bats
- Memphis Falls Behind Early, Takes Loss - Memphis Redbirds
- Sánchez's Four Hits Not Enough in Loss to Sounds - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Lindblom, Ruiz Lead Sounds to Another Win - Nashville Sounds
- Wings Win in Extras, 2-1 - Rochester Red Wings
- Late Power Surge Propels Bisons to 12-7 Win over Syracuse - Buffalo Bisons
- Bulls Best Stripers 5-2 to Take Back Division Lead - Durham Bulls
- Stripers' Win Streak Snapped with 5-2 Loss to Durham - Gwinnett Stripers
- Chasers Earn Third Consecutive Win on the Road - Omaha Storm Chasers
- RailRiders Defeat Red Sox 5-3 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Extra Innings Goes To Rochester - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Duran Doubles in Two, Steals Home in Comeback Win at SWB - Worcester Red Sox
- WooSox Celebrate "Pride at the Park" During Worcester's Pride Month - Worcester Red Sox
- Knights Fall to Tides 14-6 on Thursday - Charlotte Knights
- September 15 Game Notes: Iowa Cubs vs. Memphis Redbirds - Iowa Cubs
- Norfolk Scores 14 Unanswered Runs in Comeback Win - Norfolk Tides
- Offense Explodes in Indy, Hens Win Seven Straight - Toledo Mud Hens
- Three Homers Not Enough as Indians Fall to Mud Hens - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Jumbo Shrimp Homestand Highlights September 20-25 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - September 15 vs. Lehigh Valley - Rochester Red Wings
- Luis Severino scheduled for rehab start tonight at PNC Field - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Information: Toledo Mud Hens (76-60) vs. Indianapolis Indians (70-66) - Indianapolis Indians
- Stoudt, Santana Lead Bats to 5-1 Win over Saints - Louisville Bats
- Woods Richardson Dominates, But Saints Fall to Bats 5-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Jacksonville Bruised in 12-4 Defeat - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Sal Frelick Homers Twice as Sounds Blast Past Jumbo Shrimp - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.