Bulls Best Stripers 5-2 to Take Back Division Lead
LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. - Bulls left fielder Jim Haley and designated hitter Josh Lowe each clubbed two hits, including run-scoring doubles as part of a three-run fifth frame, while starting pitcher Easton McGee tossed four scoreless frames in Durham's 5-2 victory over the Gwinnett Stripers on Thursday evening at Coolray Field. The victory combined with Scranton/Wilkes-Barre's loss to Worcester vaulted Durham back into first place in the International League East Division with 12 games left to play.
The Bulls struck first in the third when 2B Brett Wisely clubbed an RBI single to right for his first Triple-A knock. Durham would then extend the advantage to 4-0 in the fifth thanks to four doubles, including run-scoring two-baggers from Haley, RF Miles Mastrobuoni and Lowe. Gwinnett would narrow the deficit to two with a pair of tallies in the fifth, though Durham got one of those scores back when RF Ruben Cardenas beat out an infield single to plate SS Xavier Edwards, making it a 5-2 Bulls lead.
Haley (2-4, R, 2B, RBI), Lowe (2-4, 2B, RBI) and Wisely (2-5, RBI) each recorded multi-hit efforts to lead the Bulls offense. Mastrobuoni's RBI double in the fifth was his 144th hit of the year, giving him the International League lead in that category.
Durham reliever Jimmy Yacabonis (2.0 IP, H, 2 SO) earned the victory with two shutout innings in support of McGee (4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 SO), while Dusten Knight (1.0 IP, H, SO) notched the save with a scoreless ninth. Stripers southpaw Kyle Muller (5.0 IP, 8 H, 4 R, 4 ER, BB, 5 SO) suffered the defeat.
The two teams are set to continue their six-game set on Friday evening, with first pitch scheduled for 7:05pm. RHP Taj Bradley is anticipated to get the nod for Durham and be opposed by Gwinnett RHP Mike Soroka.
Durham returns home for their final homestand of the 2022 campaign on Tuesday, September 20 to face off against the Baltimore Orioles' Triple-A affiliate Norfolk Tides. First pitch of the series opener at Durham Bulls Athletic Park is set for 6:35pm.
Tickets for that game and all remaining 2022 home dates can be purchased at DurhamBulls.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 15, 2022
- Buffalo Battles Back from Early Deficit to Beat Syracuse, 12-7, on Thursday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Saints Bested by Bats for Second Straight Night, 5-2 - St. Paul Saints
- Iowa Wins Second Straight - Iowa Cubs
- Key Hits Lead Bats to 5-2 Win in St. Paul - Louisville Bats
- Memphis Falls Behind Early, Takes Loss - Memphis Redbirds
- Sánchez's Four Hits Not Enough in Loss to Sounds - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Lindblom, Ruiz Lead Sounds to Another Win - Nashville Sounds
- Wings Win in Extras, 2-1 - Rochester Red Wings
- Late Power Surge Propels Bisons to 12-7 Win over Syracuse - Buffalo Bisons
- Bulls Best Stripers 5-2 to Take Back Division Lead - Durham Bulls
- Stripers' Win Streak Snapped with 5-2 Loss to Durham - Gwinnett Stripers
- Chasers Earn Third Consecutive Win on the Road - Omaha Storm Chasers
- RailRiders Defeat Red Sox 5-3 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Extra Innings Goes To Rochester - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Duran Doubles in Two, Steals Home in Comeback Win at SWB - Worcester Red Sox
- WooSox Celebrate "Pride at the Park" During Worcester's Pride Month - Worcester Red Sox
- Knights Fall to Tides 14-6 on Thursday - Charlotte Knights
- September 15 Game Notes: Iowa Cubs vs. Memphis Redbirds - Iowa Cubs
- Norfolk Scores 14 Unanswered Runs in Comeback Win - Norfolk Tides
- Offense Explodes in Indy, Hens Win Seven Straight - Toledo Mud Hens
- Three Homers Not Enough as Indians Fall to Mud Hens - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Jumbo Shrimp Homestand Highlights September 20-25 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - September 15 vs. Lehigh Valley - Rochester Red Wings
- Luis Severino scheduled for rehab start tonight at PNC Field - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Information: Toledo Mud Hens (76-60) vs. Indianapolis Indians (70-66) - Indianapolis Indians
- Stoudt, Santana Lead Bats to 5-1 Win over Saints - Louisville Bats
- Woods Richardson Dominates, But Saints Fall to Bats 5-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Jacksonville Bruised in 12-4 Defeat - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Sal Frelick Homers Twice as Sounds Blast Past Jumbo Shrimp - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Durham Bulls Stories
- Jonathan Aranda Named International League's Most Valuable Player
- Bulls Announce 2022 Fall Fan Fest
- Capitol Broadcasting Company Closes on Acquisition of Coastal Plain League
- 2023 ACC Baseball Championship Set for Durham Bulls Athletic Park
- Bulls Win Fourth Triple-A National Championship With 10-6 Win Over Aces