Nashville Wins Series Opener in Memphis
MEMPHIS - After taking three-of-five games from New Orleans, Nashville won their series opener against Memphis, 10-4. The Sounds recorded 19 hits, setting a new team season-high. Zack Granite led the way with four hits.
The Redbirds scored first with two runs in the top of the first inning. The first run was scored on a balk by Joe Palumbo. Andrew Knizner hit an RBI single to get the second run in.
In his first game back on a rehab assignment, Scott Heineman hit a two-run homer to tie the game in the top of the second inning. Adam Moore hit an RBI single later in the inning to give the Sounds a 3-2 lead. Irving Lopez hit a solo home run in the bottom of the second to tie the game 3-3.
Nashville went on to score five runs in the top of the third inning, bringing 11 batters to the plate. Both Matt Davidson and Christian Lopes hit RBI doubles to give the Sounds the first two runs. Juremi Profar, Adam Moore and Granite hit three consecutive RBI singles to give the Sounds the 8-3 lead.
Memphis scored one more time in the bottom of the third inning. Edmundo Sosa hit a solo home run to make it an 8-4 game. That would be all the Redbirds would score.
The Sounds stuck the dagger in the ninth inning scoring two more runs. Moore hit another RBI on a fielder's choice and Carlos Tocci hit an RBI single to make the final score 10-4. Taylor Guerrieri (2-1) earned his second win for the Sounds in relief.
Game two of the series begins at 6:35 p.m. tomorrow night. Right-hander Seth Maness (4-2, 3.72) will start for the Sounds while right-hander Harold Arauz (3-1, 5.58) will start for the Redbirds.
With tonight's 8-4 win, the Sounds go to 32-45 on the season.
Juremi Profar made his Triple-A debut tonight and went 2-for-4. He hit .290 (78-for-269) with Double-A Frisco with 17 doubles, five home runs and 38 RBI before tonight.
Joe Palumbo, who is on Texas' 40-man roster, also made his Triple-A debut. He went 4.1 innings and allowed four earned runs on five hits and a walk with four strike outs. He earned no decision.
The Sounds had 19 hits tonight, setting their new season-high. They had 18 hits on June 22 at New Orleans.
Zack Granite matched a career-high four hits. He's achieved the feat four other times in his career, his last coming this season on May 8 at Oklahoma City.
Taylor Guerrieri, Kyle Bird and Josh Fields combined for 4.2 shutout innings out of the bullpen.
The 2019 season is the 42nd in Nashville Sounds franchise history and first as the Triple-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers. Single-game tickets are available now by calling (615) 690-4487 or by visiting www.nashvillesounds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 25, 2019
- Nashville Wins Series Opener in Memphis - Nashville Sounds
- Rick Sweet Reaches 2,000 Career Wins - San Antonio Missions
- Swarmer, I-Cubs Calm Storm Chasers - Iowa Cubs
- Taco Truck Throwdown 9: August 17 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (31-45) at Memphis Redbirds (33-44) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Round Rock Express - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (33-44) vs Nashville Sounds (31-45) - Memphis Redbirds
- Chihuahuas Unveil Stars and Stripes Jerseys for GECU Independence Day Celebration - El Paso Chihuahuas
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 25, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Return Home Saturday for Five-Game Homestand - Nashville Sounds
- Aviators Cap Homestand in Style, Rout River Cats 15-6 - Las Vegas Aviators
- River Cats leave Las Vegas with series victory despite ugly finale - Sacramento River Cats
- Bees Claw Past Grizz - Salt Lake Bees
- Looking to Regain the Momentum - San Antonio Missions
- Mariscal Crushes Walk-Off Grand Slam in Extras against El Paso - Tacoma Rainiers
- Grand Slam Dooms Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Salt Lake outlasts Fresno 14-9 as Kieboom stays hot - Fresno Grizzlies
- Redbirds Exit OKC with 9-6 Win Monday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Return Home Riding Four-Game Winning Streak - Memphis Redbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville Sounds Stories
- Sounds Rally for Win in Front of Sellout Crowd
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (54-66) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (52-70)
- Palumbo Tosses Six No-Hit Innings in Sounds Win
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (53-66) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (52-69)
- Nashville Completes Comeback Win to Finish Series