Salt Lake outlasts Fresno 14-9 as Kieboom stays hot
Salt Lake City, Utah - The Salt Lake Bees (35-41) pestered the Fresno Grizzlies (40-37) 14-9 from Smith's Ballpark. Bees righty Taylor Cole (3-0) mustered the decision after three shutout frames of relief. He struck out four. Henderson Alvarez (1-4) took the loss after hurling three innings. With the defeat, Fresno's three-game winning streak came to an end. They fall to 3-2 in the fifth contest of a series.
Carter Kieboom highlighted the Grizzlies offense as he reached base five times. Kieboom drew three walks and provided a two-run shot in the fourth. It was his second straight game notching a tater and 13th of the year. Matt Reynolds hammered a big fly as well, a solo wallop in the third. Reynolds has gone deep in consecutive contests as well. Andrew Stevenson added three hits and two runs in the loss. He extended his hit streak to 10 games, the third Grizzly batter to do so in 2019.
Fresno State product Taylor Ward followed Kieboom's suit, as he was not retired in five plate appearances. Ward rocketed a go-ahead clout in the sixth, his third contest in a row with a dinger. The left fielder plated four runs and drove in three. Former Grizzlies catcher Roberto Pena also enjoyed a longball, his fifth of the year. This was the final meeting between the clubs with Fresno going 9-7 against Salt Lake.
Top Performers: Fresno Grizzlies (Washington Nationals)
- 2B Carter Kieboom (2-2, HR, 2 RBI, 2 R, 3 BB)
- CF Andrew Stevenson (3-5, 2B, RBI, 2 R, SB)
- LF Matt Reynolds (2-5, HR, RBI, 2 R)
Top Performers: Salt Lake Bees (Los Angeles Angels)
- LF Taylor Ward (4-4, HR, 3 RBI, 4 R, BB)
- C Roberto Pena (2-4, HR, 2B, RBI, 3 R, BB)
- 3B Matt Thaiss (3-5, 2B, 2 RBI, 3 R)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) RADIO/TV
Tuesday June 25 Las Vegas Aviators (Home) RHP Logan Ondrusek (Fresno) vs. RHP Paul Blackburn (Las Vegas) 7:05 p.m. KRDU 1130 AM / MiLB.TV
ON THAT FRES-NOTE: Carter Kieboom tallied two RBI in the 14-9 loss to Salt Lake on Monday night. With that pair of RBI, Kieboom tied Ryan Shealy (2011 with Las Vegas) for the most RBI by an opponent against Salt Lake in a single-season (25).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 25, 2019
- Nashville Wins Series Opener in Memphis - Nashville Sounds
- Rick Sweet Reaches 2,000 Career Wins - San Antonio Missions
- Swarmer, I-Cubs Calm Storm Chasers - Iowa Cubs
- Taco Truck Throwdown 9: August 17 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (31-45) at Memphis Redbirds (33-44) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Round Rock Express - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (33-44) vs Nashville Sounds (31-45) - Memphis Redbirds
- Chihuahuas Unveil Stars and Stripes Jerseys for GECU Independence Day Celebration - El Paso Chihuahuas
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 25, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Return Home Saturday for Five-Game Homestand - Nashville Sounds
- Aviators Cap Homestand in Style, Rout River Cats 15-6 - Las Vegas Aviators
- River Cats leave Las Vegas with series victory despite ugly finale - Sacramento River Cats
- Bees Claw Past Grizz - Salt Lake Bees
- Looking to Regain the Momentum - San Antonio Missions
- Mariscal Crushes Walk-Off Grand Slam in Extras against El Paso - Tacoma Rainiers
- Grand Slam Dooms Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Salt Lake outlasts Fresno 14-9 as Kieboom stays hot - Fresno Grizzlies
- Redbirds Exit OKC with 9-6 Win Monday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Return Home Riding Four-Game Winning Streak - Memphis Redbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.