Mariscal Crushes Walk-Off Grand Slam in Extras against El Paso
Tacoma, WA - Trailing 4-3 with two outs in the bottom of the 10th inning on Monday, Chris Mariscal launched a walk-off grand slam as the Tacoma Rainiers capped off a five-game homestand with their fourth walk-off victory of the season, 7-4, against the El Paso Chihuahuas.
After El Paso (47-29) pushed across the automatic runner with a sacrifice fly in the top of the extra inning, Chihuahuas pitcher Trevor Megill issued two walks to load the bases before Mariscal blasted his third home run to left-center field to win the game.
Sean Nolin made the start for Tacoma (36-41) and went six innings allowing two runs and striking out four El Paso hitters.
Down 2-0, Tim Lopes doubled home Jake Fraley for Tacoma's first run of the game in the sixth. An inning later, Fraley reached on a fielding error that scored Mariscal to tie the contest, 2-2.
El Paso recaptured the lead in the eighth but Tacoma tied the game at three apiece in the home half when catcher Jordan Pacheco earned his first Rainiers RBI by driving home Kristopher Negron with a sacrifice fly.
Parker Markel (2-0) was charged with the extra-inning run when the automatic runner scored, making it an unearned tally. The right-hander was credited with the win after going two hitless innings with a pair of strikeouts.
Monday's ten inning contest was the first game this season that has gone into extras at Cheney Stadium. The Rainiers were previously 0-3 in extra-inning games, with their most recent defeat coming in San Antonio on June 12.
The Rainiers hit the road on Tuesday for a four-game series against the Albuquerque Isotopes, Triple-A affiliate of the Colorado Rockies, at Isotopes Park. Right-hander Tyler Cloyd (1-6, 6.35) will take the mound for Tacoma for a 5:35 p.m. PDT start. Mike Curto will have full coverage of on South Sound Talk 850 with audio streaming available on the Tacoma Rainiers TuneIn Radio Network.
All tickets, group outings, and suites packages for the 2019 season are available for purchase in person at the Cheney Stadium Box Office, online at TacomaRainiers.com and WeRTacoma.com, or over the phone at (253) 752-7707. The most up-to-date news and notes about the Rainiers throughout the season can be found by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand), Instagram (tacomarainiers) or liking the team on Facebook.
Images from this story
Chris Mariscal of the Tacoma Rainiers
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 25, 2019
- Nashville Wins Series Opener in Memphis - Nashville Sounds
- Rick Sweet Reaches 2,000 Career Wins - San Antonio Missions
- Swarmer, I-Cubs Calm Storm Chasers - Iowa Cubs
- Taco Truck Throwdown 9: August 17 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (31-45) at Memphis Redbirds (33-44) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Round Rock Express - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (33-44) vs Nashville Sounds (31-45) - Memphis Redbirds
- Chihuahuas Unveil Stars and Stripes Jerseys for GECU Independence Day Celebration - El Paso Chihuahuas
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 25, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Return Home Saturday for Five-Game Homestand - Nashville Sounds
- Aviators Cap Homestand in Style, Rout River Cats 15-6 - Las Vegas Aviators
- River Cats leave Las Vegas with series victory despite ugly finale - Sacramento River Cats
- Bees Claw Past Grizz - Salt Lake Bees
- Looking to Regain the Momentum - San Antonio Missions
- Mariscal Crushes Walk-Off Grand Slam in Extras against El Paso - Tacoma Rainiers
- Grand Slam Dooms Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Salt Lake outlasts Fresno 14-9 as Kieboom stays hot - Fresno Grizzlies
- Redbirds Exit OKC with 9-6 Win Monday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Return Home Riding Four-Game Winning Streak - Memphis Redbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Rainiers Stories
- Rainiers Pile on Six in Seventh Inning to Take Second-Straight against Fresno
- Brugman Drives Home Three Including Game-Winner as Tacoma Takes Homestand Opener
- Court Drives Home Two, Tacoma Falls in Final Game at New Orleans
- Moore Strong in Relief, Rainiers Bats Limited by Baby Cakes
- Mariscal Throttles Two Bombs as Tacoma Snaps Losing Streak in New Orleans