Swarmer, I-Cubs Calm Storm Chasers
DES MOINES, IA - The Iowa Cubs (43-35) used a three-run fourth inning to defeat the Omaha Storm Chasers (37-41) 5-1 on Tuesday night at Principal Park. Iowa starter Matt Swarmer tied a career-high with 7.0 innings pitched to earn his fifth win of 2019.
The I-Cubs recorded three straight singles in the first inning off Omaha starter Arnaldo Hernandez (L, 1-5), with Phillip Evans driving in Jim Adduci to give Iowa an early 1-0 lead.
Omaha responded in the top half of the second with an infield single off the bat of Chase d'Arnaud to tie the game at one.
The I-Cubs reclaimed the lead in the fourth with an RBI double from Donnie Dewees that drove in Ian Happ. Dixon Machado brought in Dewees and Taylor Davis with a two-run RBI single to give Iowa a 4-1 lead. All three runs came across with two outs.
Robel Garcia gave the I-Cubs an insurance run with a solo blast over the scoreboard in right field to put the I-Cubs up 5-1 after six.
Swarmer (W, 5-7) gave the I-Cubs a quality start for his second-straight outing. He allowed one run on five hits, walked three and struck out one. Danny Hultzen and Craig Kimbrel pitched perfect eighth and ninth innings, respectively, to close out the I-Cub victory.
- Matt Swarmer tied the longest outing by an I-Cubs pitcher this season. Swarmer had just two outings of 7.0+ innings coming into the 2019 season but now has gone 7.0 frames in his last two starts.
- 11 of Robel Garcia's 14 homers this season have been solo home runs.
- Dixon Machado has collected eight RBI over his last five games.
- I-Cub batters hit into a season-high four double plays.
Iowa continues the four-game series with Omaha on Wednesday on Party with Princesses Kids Night at Principal Park. First pitch is slated for 7:08 p.m. For more information and tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 25, 2019
- Nashville Wins Series Opener in Memphis - Nashville Sounds
- Rick Sweet Reaches 2,000 Career Wins - San Antonio Missions
- Swarmer, I-Cubs Calm Storm Chasers - Iowa Cubs
- Taco Truck Throwdown 9: August 17 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (31-45) at Memphis Redbirds (33-44) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Round Rock Express - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (33-44) vs Nashville Sounds (31-45) - Memphis Redbirds
- Chihuahuas Unveil Stars and Stripes Jerseys for GECU Independence Day Celebration - El Paso Chihuahuas
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 25, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Return Home Saturday for Five-Game Homestand - Nashville Sounds
- Aviators Cap Homestand in Style, Rout River Cats 15-6 - Las Vegas Aviators
- River Cats leave Las Vegas with series victory despite ugly finale - Sacramento River Cats
- Bees Claw Past Grizz - Salt Lake Bees
- Looking to Regain the Momentum - San Antonio Missions
- Mariscal Crushes Walk-Off Grand Slam in Extras against El Paso - Tacoma Rainiers
- Grand Slam Dooms Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Salt Lake outlasts Fresno 14-9 as Kieboom stays hot - Fresno Grizzlies
- Redbirds Exit OKC with 9-6 Win Monday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Return Home Riding Four-Game Winning Streak - Memphis Redbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.