Nailers Win on Goal with Five Seconds Left
WHEELING, WV - The Wheeling Nailers picked up their seventh win in eight home games on Tuesday morning, and once again, they did it in dramatic fashion. Blake Siebenaler scored with five seconds remaining, lifting the Nailers to a 4-3 victory over the Cincinnati Cyclones in front of a sellout crowd of 5,042 fans on Education Day. Jan Drozg added two goals and an assist, while Brandon Hawkins netted a goal that will certainly make its way onto the highlight reel.
Both teams tallied during the opening period, with the Cyclones scoring first and Wheeling answering back. Cincinnati's goal came at the 3:17 mark, when Darik Angeli wound through the slot, then lifted in a backhander on the left side. The Nailers got their equalizer on the power play. Renars Krastenbergs whistled a pass through the top of the crease to Jan Drozg, who pounded in a one-timer from the left side.
The second period saw Wheeling strike first with a remarkable goal. Brandon Hawkins got the puck on his stick behind the net, which he lifted up like a lacrosse shot into the top-right corner. The Cyclones came back to knot the score off a rush, as Cody Milan dropped a pass to Tobie Bisson for a wrist shot from the left circle.
The Nailers regained the lead 14 seconds into the third period, when Jan Drozg zipped a shot from the slot into the bottom-right corner of the net. Cincinnati drew even on Cody Milan's neutral ice wrister, which put Wheeling's celebration on hold for a brief moment. With five seconds remaining, the Nailers got their heroics from Blake Siebenaler. Drozg fired a shot wide, but the rebound made its way to Hawkins. He proceeded to drop a pass to Siebenaler, who buried his shot from the right side, giving Wheeling the 4-3 win.
Alex D'Orio got the victory between the pipes for Wheeling, turning away 27 of the 30 shots he faced. Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen made 19 saves on 23 shots in the loss for the Cyclones.
The Nailers will play a couple of road games this weekend, as they will visit the Indy Fuel on Friday at 7:35, followed by the Fort Wayne Komets on Saturday at 7:35. Wheeling's next home game is Thanksgiving Eve, when the Fort Wayne Komets come to town for a 7:05 face-off. The next Big-6 Promotional Night is Be Our Neighbor Night on Saturday, December 7th. New for all Saturday home games, fans can purchase a Friends & Family 4-Pack, which includes four tickets, four Tito's Sloppy Doggs, and a $10 voucher to the Nailers Team Store. The Wheeling Nailers, considered one of the top things to do in Wheeling, West Virginia, provide affordable family entertainment for fans throughout the Ohio Valley. For information on season tickets, group tickets, partial plans, and more, call (304) 234-GOAL.
Images from this story
Wheeling Nailers react after Blake Siebenaler's game-winning goal
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 19, 2019
- Helvig Stuns Rays with 48 Saves - South Carolina Stingrays
- Swamp Rabbits Stun Stingrays on Tuesday - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Steelheads Return Home, Host Puck Giveaway & Keep Kids Warm - Idaho Steelheads
- Everblades Add Forwards Koper, Craggs to Roster - Florida Everblades
- Mariners to Hold Second Annual Sensory Reduced Game - Maine Mariners
- Americans Win First Meeting of the Season with KC - Allen Americans
- Dante Salituro Traded to Worcester - Indy Fuel
- Batman Night Saturday - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - November 19 - ECHL
- Mavericks Welcome Thousands of Students for Annual Kids Day Game - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cincinnati's Luukkonen Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Luukkonen Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Forward Laberge Reassigned to Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Former Gladiators Forward Returns - Atlanta Gladiators
- 'Clones Drop Matinee in Final Seconds - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers Win on Goal with Five Seconds Left - Wheeling Nailers
- Kehler reassigned to Fort Wayne, Villalta reassigned to Ontario - Fort Wayne Komets
- K-Wings Achieve Guinness World Records Title - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Wheeling Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.