Moose Outlast Laval in Shootout
The Manitoba Moose (24-31-0-0) claimed a 5-4 shootout victory against the Laval Rocket (23-23-5-3) on Wednesday night at Place Bell.
Just over four minutes into the first period, Charles Hudson found space and ripped a wrist shot on Manitoba's net but Moose netminder Mikhail Berdin robbed the forward of giving Laval the early advantage. With 4:26 off the clock in the frame, Seth Griffith connected on a two-on-one opportunity to give Manitoba the 1-0 lead. Just under two minutes later, a generous bounce was spotted by David Gustafsson who whacked it in off a skate to give the Moose with a two-goal advantage.
With 8:43 off the clock in the second, Cale Fleury found the back of the net for Laval and got the Rocket within one. Just over three minutes later, Yannick Veilleux capitalized for Laval and tied the game 2-2. With 2:51 remaining in the frame, the Rocket struck again as Jake Evans connected to give Laval the one goal lead.
Midway through the third frame, Leon Gawanke blasted a shot past Rocket netminder Keith Kinkaid to tie the game 3-3. With 6:36 remaining in the period, Hudon scored for the Rocket to give Laval the 4-3 lead. With just under two minutes to go in the game, Michael Spacek capitalized on Cameron Schilling's rebound to tie the game 4-4. Neither team found the go-ahead goal in regulation and the game required extra time to decide a winner.
The Rocket registered all three shots posted during overtime but couldn't secure the victory as Berdin denied all of Laval's attempts. In the shootout, Seth Griffith scored the lone goal to give Manitoba the advantage. Berdin stopped Laval's first two shooters and poke checked Hudon's attempt out of harms way to secure the victory for Manitoba.
Manitoba remains undefeated in extra time securing the win in all six games that went beyond regulation
David Gustafsson posted his first career AHL goal
Seth Griffith became the first Moose player to reach the 20 goal mark on the 2019-20 campaign What's Next?
The Moose face off against the Laval Rocket on Friday, Feb. 21. Puck drop is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. CT. The game will be broadcast on TSN 1290 and moosehockey.com/listenlive.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 19, 2020
- Senators Acquire Archibald and Luchuk in Separate Trades - Belleville Senators
- Sens Complete Comeback in Rochester - Belleville Senators
- Eight Is Great: Phantoms Win Wild and Wacky Wednesday - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Moose Outlast Laval in Shootout - Manitoba Moose
- Flyers Trade Berube to Pave Way for Ustimenko - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Five Bridgeport players record multi-point gamea in loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Senators Acquire Archibald, Luchuk, from Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Marlies Acquire Trent Bourque in Trade with Belleville - Toronto Marlies
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defenseman Oleg Sosunov to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Bears Recall Wittchow from South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Flames Assign Glenn Gawdin to Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Phantoms Recall Knodel; Friedman Recalled by Flyers - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- IceHogs to Revive Wagon Wheel Cardinals for the 21st Annual Jersey Auction Game - Rockford IceHogs
- Devils Sweep Marlies, 5-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Columbus Blue Jackets Sign Forward Stefan Matteau to a Two-Year, Two-Way NHL/AHL Contract Through 2020-21 - Cleveland Monsters
- Amerks Holding Food Drive During Next Seven Home Games to Benefit Foodlink - Rochester Americans
- Heat Open Road Trip at San Diego - Stockton Heat
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 vs. Belleville Senators - Rochester Americans
- Comets Announce 2021 AIS Empire State Classic - Utica Comets
- Florida Panthers Acquire F Mason Marchment from Toronto Maple Leafs - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Blue Jackets Loan Goaltender Joonas Korpisalo to Monsters for Conditioning Purposes, Assign Forward Kole Sherwood to Cleveland - Cleveland Monsters
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Americans, February 19 - Belleville Senators
- Pascal Laberge Assigned to Reading Royals - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Marlies Return to Coca-Cola Coliseum for Rematch with Binghamton - Toronto Marlies
- Sound Tigers Eye Third Straight Home Win Tonight - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.