Blue Jackets Loan Goaltender Joonas Korpisalo to Monsters for Conditioning Purposes, Assign Forward Kole Sherwood to Cleveland
CLEVELAND - The AHL's Cleveland Monsters, top affiliate of the NHL's Columbus Blue Jackets, announced Wednesday that the Blue Jackets loaned goaltender Joonas Korpisalo to Cleveland for conditioning purposes and assigned forward Kole Sherwood to the Monsters. In 32 appearances for Columbus this season, Korpisalo went 17-10-4 with two shutouts, a 2.49 goals-against average (GAA) and .913 save percentage (S%) and was named a 2020 NHL All-Star. In three appearances for Columbus this season, Sherwood posted two penalty minutes and added 8-3-11 with 50 penalty minutes and a -7 rating in 34 appearances for the Monsters.
A 6'3", 191 lb., left-catching native of Pori, Finland, Korpisalo, 25, was originally selected by the Blue Jackets in the third round (62nd overall) of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft and posted a record of 58-41-13 with three shutouts, a 2.78 GAA and a .908 S% in 122 career appearances for Columbus spanning parts of five seasons from 2015-20. In 45 career AHL appearances for the Lake Erie/Cleveland Monsters and Springfield Falcons spanning parts of four seasons from 2014-18, Korpisalo supplied a record of 18-20-6 with two shutouts, a 2.51 GAA and a .911 S% and went 6-2 with a 2.96 GAA and a .898 S% in nine appearances for the Monsters during the 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs, helping the team claim the Calder Cup as AHL Playoff Champions.
Prior to his North American professional career, Korpisalo appeared in 45 Liiga games for Jokerit and Ilves spanning parts of three seasons from 2012-15 and in international competition, Korpisalo represented Finland in the 2013 IIHF U20 World Junior Championships and the 2017 IIHF World Championships.
A 6'1", 199 lb. right-shooting native of New Albany, OH, Sherwood, 23, appeared in five games for Columbus spanning this season and last season and is the first Columbus-area native to appear in a regular-season game for the Blue Jackets. Sherwood additionally tallied 24-12-36 with 123 penalty minutes and a -6 rating in 92 career AHL appearances for Cleveland spanning parts of three seasons from 2016-20.
Prior to his professional career, Sherwood notched 75-104-179 with 169 penalty minutes and a +33 rating in 180 career OHL appearances for the London Knights, Flint Firebirds and Kitchener Rangers spanning three seasons from 2015-18 and heled London claim the 2016 OHL Championship. Sherwood also appeared in three games for the USHL's Youngstown Phantoms in 2014-15, supplying 1-1-2 with a +2 rating.
Monsters Family Value Packs start at less than $20 per person and provide the best value and flexibility for attending a Monsters game! Family Packs include four (4) discounted, lower bowl tickets to the game of your choice (as close as 4 rows from the glass!), $5 in food and beverage credit on each ticket and a FREE kid's ticket to the Greater Cleveland Aquarium when you purchase an adult aquarium ticket all for ONLY $79 (a $156 package value)! Visit www.clevelandmonsters.com/tickets/familyvalue to get yours TODAY! All Monsters tickets can be purchased at www.ClevelandMonsters.com/tickets, by calling (216) 420-0000 or by visiting any Northern Ohio Discount Drug Mart.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 19, 2020
- Senators Acquire Archibald and Luchuk in Separate Trades - Belleville Senators
- Sens Complete Comeback in Rochester - Belleville Senators
- Eight Is Great: Phantoms Win Wild and Wacky Wednesday - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Moose Outlast Laval in Shootout - Manitoba Moose
- Flyers Trade Berube to Pave Way for Ustimenko - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Five Bridgeport players record multi-point gamea in loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Senators Acquire Archibald, Luchuk, from Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Marlies Acquire Trent Bourque in Trade with Belleville - Toronto Marlies
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defenseman Oleg Sosunov to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Bears Recall Wittchow from South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Flames Assign Glenn Gawdin to Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Phantoms Recall Knodel; Friedman Recalled by Flyers - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- IceHogs to Revive Wagon Wheel Cardinals for the 21st Annual Jersey Auction Game - Rockford IceHogs
- Devils Sweep Marlies, 5-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Columbus Blue Jackets Sign Forward Stefan Matteau to a Two-Year, Two-Way NHL/AHL Contract Through 2020-21 - Cleveland Monsters
- Amerks Holding Food Drive During Next Seven Home Games to Benefit Foodlink - Rochester Americans
- Heat Open Road Trip at San Diego - Stockton Heat
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 vs. Belleville Senators - Rochester Americans
- Comets Announce 2021 AIS Empire State Classic - Utica Comets
- Florida Panthers Acquire F Mason Marchment from Toronto Maple Leafs - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Blue Jackets Loan Goaltender Joonas Korpisalo to Monsters for Conditioning Purposes, Assign Forward Kole Sherwood to Cleveland - Cleveland Monsters
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Americans, February 19 - Belleville Senators
- Pascal Laberge Assigned to Reading Royals - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Marlies Return to Coca-Cola Coliseum for Rematch with Binghamton - Toronto Marlies
- Sound Tigers Eye Third Straight Home Win Tonight - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Monsters Host BHC Night & Cavs Day in Weekend Homestand Versus IceHogs
- Monsters Announce Three Roster Moves
- Blue Jackets Reassign Dalpe, MacInnis from Cleveland to Taxi Squad
- Monsters Announce April 25th Game Versus Wolves Will be Moved to Saturday, April 24th at 4:00 p.m.
- Blue Jackets Assign Defenseman Andrew Peeke to Monsters