Mets Lose to Red Wings, 5-3, on Saturday Night
Rochester, NY - The Syracuse Mets lost to the Rochester Red Wings, 5-3, on Saturday night at Frontier Field. Danny Espinosa had two hits, including a home run, for the Mets in the game.
Rochester (70-68) got on the board in the bottom of the first inning. With two outs, Tomás Telis doubled. Wilin Rosario followed with a single that scored Telis for a 1-0 Rochester lead.
The Red Wings added to their edge in the second. Zander Wiel doubled, Ronald Torreyes singled, and Mike Miller doubled to score Wiel for a 2-0 advantage. Two batters later, Ramón Flores doubled to bring home both Torreyes and Miller to give Rochester a 4-0 lead.
Syracuse (73-65) scored in the top of the third. Jason Krizan led off with a walk. Colton Plaia followed with a double down the left-field line that scored Krizan from first to make it a 4-1 ballgame. Plaia moved to third base on a Brandon Nimmo groundout to second base, and Plaia scored on a Jed Lowrie groundout to second base, cutting the Rochester lead to two, 4-2.
The Mets struck again in the sixth. Espinosa led off the frame with a home run to left field, pulling the Mets within one, 4-3. The homer is Espinosa's 20th of the season.
Rochester got an insurance run in the eighth. With Flores at third and two outs, Alejandro De Aza doubled to score Flores for a 5-3 Red Wings advantage.
Syracuse and Rochester continue their four-game series on Sunday night with the third game of the series. First pitch is scheduled for 6:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Knights Back Atop Wild Card Race with 5-2 Win - Charlotte Knights
- Mets Lose to Red Wings, 5-3, on Saturday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Pigs Power Past PawSox - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- RailRiders Top Bisons, 9-4, with Katoh's Slam - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Down Tides, 5-2 - Norfolk Tides
- Stripers Hang on to Beat Durham 3-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Tribe Clipped by Columbus in Home Finale - Indianapolis Indians
- Stripers Clip Bulls in 3-2 Decision - Durham Bulls
- Wings Take Second Straight against Mets - Rochester Red Wings
- Katoh's slam provides big lift for offense in RailRiders victory over Bisons - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Gutierrez Strikes out 13 as Bats Win Final Road Game, 2-1 - Louisville Bats
- Hens Fall to Bats in Season Series Finale - Toledo Mud Hens
- Four Homers Push Pigs Past PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Final Homestand Continues Sunday with Fireworks - Rochester Red Wings
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (6:35 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (65-72) vs. Columbus Clippers (78-59) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (57-80) at Toledo Mud Hens (66-71) - Louisville Bats
- Cronenworth Headlines 2019 Goodmon Award Recipients - Durham Bulls
- Chavis Belts Two More Homers, PawSox Split Double Dip - Pawtucket Red Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Mets Stories
- Syracuse Mets See Huge Jump in Attendance During the 2019 Season
- Syracuse Mets End Season with Heartbreaking 14-13 Loss to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders in One-Game Playoff
- Mets Beat Red Wings, 8-4, to Force One-Game Playoff for North Division Title
- Syracuse Keeps Playoff Hope Alive with 7-3 Win against Rochester
- Mets Lose to Red Wings, 5-3, on Saturday Night