Katoh's slam provides big lift for offense in RailRiders victory over Bisons
MOOSIC, PA - The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders topped the Buffalo Bisons 9-4, Saturday night at PNC Field as they broke a 4-4 tie in fifth inning with five runs; four of those runs on one swing via a Gosuke Katoh grand slam.
Back-to-back walks by Clint Frazier and Ryan McBroom began the bottom of the fifth for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre against Buffalo pitcher Thomas Pannone who was the first man out the bullpen in back of big league rehabber, Clayton Richard. Then, Breyvic Valera laid down a bunt single and loaded the bases for the RailRiders. Pannone then surrendered a sacrifice fly to Kyle Higashioka which tied the game 4-4. Trey Amburgey was the following batter and was hit by a pitch, reloading the bases for the RailRiders, setting up Katoh's grand slam to right field which pushed the RailRiders ahead 8-4.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre extended their advantage in the bottom of the sixth and with its final run of the night as Higashioka nailed an RBI double down the left field line and plated Valera, elevating the score to 9-4.
The RailRiders grabbed a quick 3-0 lead, but the Bisons caught up in the top of the third as Socrates Brito tripled on a line drive to center and plated two runs. The next Buffalo batter, Richard Urena, singled and drove home an additional run that tied the game 3-3.
Four innings later in the top of the fifth, Roemon Fields tripled and Jonathan Davis' single brought him home, giving Buffalo a one-run lead over the RailRiders, until the decisive bottom of the inning when Scranton/Wilkes-Barre rallied and remained on top.
The winning arm for the RailRiders was Nick Nelson who picked up his first career Triple-A win and improved to 1-1 over 5.0 innings of work, and Thomas Pannone (3-1) who took his first Triple-A loss of the season for the Bisons over 3.0 innings as he allowed five runs, including Katoh's grand slam.
The RailRiders entered Saturday's game in a tie for first place in the I.L. North Division with the Syracuse Mets, but the Mets fell 5-3 to the Rochester Red Wings Saturday night. The RailRiders take a 1.0-game lead into Sunday - the penultimate game of the 2019 regular season.
The RailRiders continue the series against the Bisons Sunday afternoon with RHP Luis Severino expected to rehab with Scranton/Wilkes-Barre going up against Buffalo's LHP Anthony Kay (3-4, 4.18). First pitch is scheduled for 1:05 p.m. with pregame coverage beginning at 12:35 p.m. on the RailRiders Radio Network. For tickets and more information, call (570) 969-BALL or slide to www.swbrailriders.com/tickets.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Knights Back Atop Wild Card Race with 5-2 Win - Charlotte Knights
- Mets Lose to Red Wings, 5-3, on Saturday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Pigs Power Past PawSox - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- RailRiders Top Bisons, 9-4, with Katoh's Slam - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Down Tides, 5-2 - Norfolk Tides
- Stripers Hang on to Beat Durham 3-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Tribe Clipped by Columbus in Home Finale - Indianapolis Indians
- Stripers Clip Bulls in 3-2 Decision - Durham Bulls
- Wings Take Second Straight against Mets - Rochester Red Wings
- Katoh's slam provides big lift for offense in RailRiders victory over Bisons - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Gutierrez Strikes out 13 as Bats Win Final Road Game, 2-1 - Louisville Bats
- Hens Fall to Bats in Season Series Finale - Toledo Mud Hens
- Four Homers Push Pigs Past PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Final Homestand Continues Sunday with Fireworks - Rochester Red Wings
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (6:35 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (65-72) vs. Columbus Clippers (78-59) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (57-80) at Toledo Mud Hens (66-71) - Louisville Bats
- Cronenworth Headlines 2019 Goodmon Award Recipients - Durham Bulls
- Chavis Belts Two More Homers, PawSox Split Double Dip - Pawtucket Red Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- SWB RailRiders Media Advisory- Emergency Food Drive-Thru Giveaway on May 27 at PNC Field
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre participating in MiLB CommUNITY First Campaign
- RailRiders Join the Show with IL Clubs
- READing RailRoad Returns
- RailRiders Front Office Is Temporarily Closed