Chavis Belts Two More Homers, PawSox Split Double Dip
PAWTUCKET, R.I. - For a second-straight day, the Pawtucket Red Sox (58-79) split a doubleheader at McCoy Stadium, topping the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs (64-73) in game one by a 6-4 final before the Pigs took game two by a 7-4 final.
Rob Brantly opened the scoring in game one with an RBI single to put the Iron Pigs in front 1-0 in the second inning.
In the third, Michael Chavis blasted a two-run, 412-foot homer to put Pawtucket up 2-1.
Jose Pirela tied the game at two with a solo homer in the fourth.
But Pawtucket scored four times in the bottom half of the fourth to grab the lead for good, the latter pair coming on Chavis's second two-run shot in as many plate appearances. The 24-year-old has hit seven long balls in 21 games with Pawtucket, and all of them have traveled over 400 feet.
In game two, each side swapped a pair of runs in the first inning. Maikel Franco hit a two-run home run in the top half of the frame, but Tate Matheny's first Triple-A hit scored two runs to tie the game.
Oscar Hernández ripped a two-run shot over the left-field fence to make it 4-2 Pawtucket.
But Lehigh Valley scored five unanswered runs to take the second game of the doubleheader.
The PawSox continue their series with the Iron Pigs tomorrow at 6:15 p.m. Pawtucket left-hander Kyle Hart (9-6, 3.69 ERA) is scheduled to oppose Iron Pigs lefty Cole Irvin (6-1, 3.94 ERA).
The game will be televised live on myRITV and Charter TV3. Radio coverage on WHJJ (920 AM and 104.7 FM) and throughout the PawSox Radio Network begins with the pre-game show at 5:45 p.m.
Tomorrow, the PawSox will host Team Poster and Autograph Night. The first 5,000 fans entering the stadium will receive a full-color PawSox Team Poster suitable for framing. From 4-5 PM before the game, fans will also be allowed on the field for pictures and autographs with their favorite players. After the game, fans can enjoy post-game fireworks set to music from Motown. On September 1 (Sunday), fans can play catch on the field and then run the bases post-game on a Sunday FunDay. Lastly, on September 2 (Monday), the PawSox will put the bow on 2019 with their traditional Last Game Celebration.
During the homestretch, the PawSox will admit for free children 16 and under. They'll also let "kids run the show" at each game. Parents also have the option to partake of a new "End of Summer Family Bargain" in which they each receive a General Admission ticket, $2 in loaded value (good for food, beverage, or merchandise), and a PawSox cap, all for $12 (a $26 value).
Good tickets are available, and fans can visit the McCoy Stadium box office, which is open Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and during all home games. Fans can also call (401) 724-7300 or log on to PawSox.com for tickets.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Knights Back Atop Wild Card Race with 5-2 Win - Charlotte Knights
- Mets Lose to Red Wings, 5-3, on Saturday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Pigs Power Past PawSox - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- RailRiders Top Bisons, 9-4, with Katoh's Slam - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Down Tides, 5-2 - Norfolk Tides
- Stripers Hang on to Beat Durham 3-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Tribe Clipped by Columbus in Home Finale - Indianapolis Indians
- Stripers Clip Bulls in 3-2 Decision - Durham Bulls
- Wings Take Second Straight against Mets - Rochester Red Wings
- Katoh's slam provides big lift for offense in RailRiders victory over Bisons - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Gutierrez Strikes out 13 as Bats Win Final Road Game, 2-1 - Louisville Bats
- Hens Fall to Bats in Season Series Finale - Toledo Mud Hens
- Four Homers Push Pigs Past PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Final Homestand Continues Sunday with Fireworks - Rochester Red Wings
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (6:35 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (65-72) vs. Columbus Clippers (78-59) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (57-80) at Toledo Mud Hens (66-71) - Louisville Bats
- Cronenworth Headlines 2019 Goodmon Award Recipients - Durham Bulls
- Chavis Belts Two More Homers, PawSox Split Double Dip - Pawtucket Red Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.