Hens Fall to Bats in Season Series Finale
Toledo, Ohio - At Fifth Third Field on Saturday, the Toledo Mud Hens and Louisville Bats concluded their season series in a 2-1 final, favoring the Bats.
On the first pitch of the bottom of the first inning, Daz Cameron was hit by a pitch. On the second throw by Louisville starter, Vladimir Gutierrez, which was a pick-off attempt, the ball flew into the outfield allowing Cameron to move up to third. A single by Jeimer Candelario pushed Cameron home to give Toledo an early 1-0 lead.
The Bats came back in the top of the second, seeing Nick Ciuffo score on a double by Narciso Crook. However, Toledo starter Victor Alcantara struck out two batters in a row to end the inning with the score at 1-1.
In the bottom of the second, Danny Woodrow began by singling before stealing both second and third, bringing his season total to 23. Walks drawn in the inning by Pete Kozma and Candelario loaded the bases, but Toledo was unable to score.
Prior to the start of the third inning, Tyler Alexander entered for Toledo to pitch, taking over for Alcantara. In two innings of work, Alcantara allowed one run on two hits and one walk while striking out two.
The next offensive action came in the top of the fifth with Jose Peraza singling to score Blake Trahan who had doubled.
Alexander went the rest of the game for Toledo, striking out seven over seven innings while giving up one run on three hits and one walk.
With just two games left on the schedule, the Mud Hens will remain in Toledo for the rest of their season. The final two games, being played Sunday and Monday will be against the Columbus Clippers. Sunday's contest is set for a 6:05 p.m. start while Monday is scheduled for 1:05 p.m. Sunday's game will feature Kyle Funkhouser on the mound for Toledo with Columbus sending Scott Moss.
#RoadToDetroit Report (rankings according to MLB.com 2019 Prospect Watch):
8. OF Daz Cameron: 1 for 3
14. RHP Beau Burrows: DNP (IL)
18. RHP Kyle Funkhouser: DNP
21. RHP Bryan Garcia: DNP
27. OF Jacob Robson: 0 for 4
30. OF Danny Woodrow: 1 for 4
-Prior to the start of Saturday's game, Caleb Thielbar was traded to the Atlanta Braves organization. In a corresponding move, Will Vest joined the Mud Hens roster.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Knights Back Atop Wild Card Race with 5-2 Win - Charlotte Knights
- Mets Lose to Red Wings, 5-3, on Saturday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Pigs Power Past PawSox - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- RailRiders Top Bisons, 9-4, with Katoh's Slam - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Down Tides, 5-2 - Norfolk Tides
- Stripers Hang on to Beat Durham 3-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Tribe Clipped by Columbus in Home Finale - Indianapolis Indians
- Stripers Clip Bulls in 3-2 Decision - Durham Bulls
- Wings Take Second Straight against Mets - Rochester Red Wings
- Katoh's slam provides big lift for offense in RailRiders victory over Bisons - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Gutierrez Strikes out 13 as Bats Win Final Road Game, 2-1 - Louisville Bats
- Hens Fall to Bats in Season Series Finale - Toledo Mud Hens
- Four Homers Push Pigs Past PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Final Homestand Continues Sunday with Fireworks - Rochester Red Wings
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (6:35 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (65-72) vs. Columbus Clippers (78-59) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (57-80) at Toledo Mud Hens (66-71) - Louisville Bats
- Cronenworth Headlines 2019 Goodmon Award Recipients - Durham Bulls
- Chavis Belts Two More Homers, PawSox Split Double Dip - Pawtucket Red Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.