Tribe Clipped by Columbus in Home Finale
INDIANAPOLIS - The Tribe offense was hurt by four double plays to end their 2019 home slate, dropping a third straight loss 6-1 to Columbus. They finished the season 32-38 at home for their worst record at Victory Field since it opened in 1996.
The Indians (65-73) also dropped to .500 in the IL West with two divisional games left to play against Louisville.
The IL West winners got off to a quick start against the Indians with a leadoff single that came around to score on a sacrifice fly.
Two errors in the second inning led to the Tribe's only run on a soft RBI single by Eric Wood, tying the game up 1-1. Cole Tucker then opened up the third with a leadoff double, his second in as many nights, but the Indians hit into their first of four double plays to erase the threat.
Columbus (79-59) broke the tie in the fifth inning with another sacrifice fly and opened up the game in the sixth. Bradley Zimmer's leadoff double was followed by back-to-back two-out singles that extended the lead to 5-1. One more run in the seventh gave the Clippers an extra insurance run.
Shao-Ching Chiang (W, 9-9) allowed one unearned run over five innings. Jefry Rodriguez entered for 3.2 innings and allowed three hits to earn the hold before Josh Smith got the last out.
Cody Ponce (L, 1-3) allowed five runs on five hits and left the game with the bases loaded in the sixth inning. Elvis Escobar threw two-scoreless innings in his Triple-A debut.
The Indians round out their season with a two-game set at Louisville, beginning with a 6:00 p.m. ET start on Sunday. RHP Alex McRae (7-7, 5.00) is slated to go for the Tribe against RHP Tejay Antone (3-8, 4.87).
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Knights Back Atop Wild Card Race with 5-2 Win - Charlotte Knights
- Mets Lose to Red Wings, 5-3, on Saturday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Pigs Power Past PawSox - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- RailRiders Top Bisons, 9-4, with Katoh's Slam - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Down Tides, 5-2 - Norfolk Tides
- Stripers Hang on to Beat Durham 3-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Tribe Clipped by Columbus in Home Finale - Indianapolis Indians
- Stripers Clip Bulls in 3-2 Decision - Durham Bulls
- Wings Take Second Straight against Mets - Rochester Red Wings
- Katoh's slam provides big lift for offense in RailRiders victory over Bisons - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Gutierrez Strikes out 13 as Bats Win Final Road Game, 2-1 - Louisville Bats
- Hens Fall to Bats in Season Series Finale - Toledo Mud Hens
- Four Homers Push Pigs Past PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Final Homestand Continues Sunday with Fireworks - Rochester Red Wings
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (6:35 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (65-72) vs. Columbus Clippers (78-59) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (57-80) at Toledo Mud Hens (66-71) - Louisville Bats
- Cronenworth Headlines 2019 Goodmon Award Recipients - Durham Bulls
- Chavis Belts Two More Homers, PawSox Split Double Dip - Pawtucket Red Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.