Four Homers Push Pigs Past PawSox
PAWTUCKET, R.I. - The Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs (65-73) lifted four home runs on their way to a 7-2 victory over the Pawtucket Red Sox (58-80) on Saturday night at McCoy Stadium.
For a second-straight game, Maikel Franco put Lehigh Valley on the board in the first inning, lining a solo home run to left field to make it 1-0.
Pawtucket responded immediately in the bottom of the first on a solo homer from Cole Sturgeon.
In the fourth inning, Shane Robinson drove in the go-ahead run on a sacrifice fly.
But once again, the PawSox countered in the bottom half of the inning, with a run crossing home plate after Tate Matheny was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded.
Lehigh Valley jumped back in front in the sixth, scoring twice on a pair of bases-loaded walks. The Iron Pigs drew four walks in the inning.
Deivy Grullon's 20th home run of the season made it 5-2 in the seventh inning.
Then in the ninth inning, the Iron Pigs homered twice: once on an inside-the-park home run from Ali Castillo, and another on the second homer of the night by Grullon.
C.J. Chatham went 1-for-5, and he has now reached in 17 consecutive games.
Kyle Hart pitched past the fifth inning for the 13th time in his 15 starts with Pawtucket. The 26-year-old tossed 5.1 innings, giving up five hits, four earned runs, and five walks while striking out four.
The PawSox continue their series with the Iron Pigs tomorrow at 1:05 p.m. The game will be televised live on myRITV. Radio coverage on WHJJ (920 AM and 104.7 FM) and throughout the PawSox Radio Network begins with the pre-game show at 12:35 p.m.
Tomorrow is the final Family Funday of the season. Fans can play catch on the field before the game and then run the bases afterward. Lastly, on September 2 (Monday), the PawSox will put the bow on 2019 with their traditional Last Game Celebration.
During the homestretch, the PawSox will admit for free children 16 and under. They'll also let "kids run the show" at each game. Parents also have the option to partake of a new "End of Summer Family Bargain" in which they each receive a General Admission ticket, $2 in loaded value (good for food, beverage, or merchandise), and a PawSox cap, all for $12 (a $26 value).
Good tickets are available, and fans can visit the McCoy Stadium box office, which is open Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and during all home games. Fans can also call (401) 724-7300 or log on to PawSox.com for tickets.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Knights Back Atop Wild Card Race with 5-2 Win - Charlotte Knights
- Mets Lose to Red Wings, 5-3, on Saturday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Pigs Power Past PawSox - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- RailRiders Top Bisons, 9-4, with Katoh's Slam - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Down Tides, 5-2 - Norfolk Tides
- Stripers Hang on to Beat Durham 3-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Tribe Clipped by Columbus in Home Finale - Indianapolis Indians
- Stripers Clip Bulls in 3-2 Decision - Durham Bulls
- Wings Take Second Straight against Mets - Rochester Red Wings
- Katoh's slam provides big lift for offense in RailRiders victory over Bisons - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Gutierrez Strikes out 13 as Bats Win Final Road Game, 2-1 - Louisville Bats
- Hens Fall to Bats in Season Series Finale - Toledo Mud Hens
- Four Homers Push Pigs Past PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Final Homestand Continues Sunday with Fireworks - Rochester Red Wings
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (6:35 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (65-72) vs. Columbus Clippers (78-59) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (57-80) at Toledo Mud Hens (66-71) - Louisville Bats
- Cronenworth Headlines 2019 Goodmon Award Recipients - Durham Bulls
- Chavis Belts Two More Homers, PawSox Split Double Dip - Pawtucket Red Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.