Stripers Hang on to Beat Durham 3-2
DURHAM, NC - Solo home runs from Adam Duvall and Drew Waters, and 7.0 innings of two-run baseball from Kyle Wright propelled the Gwinnett Stripers (79-58) to a 3-2 win over the Durham Bulls (73-63) on Saturday night in game two of a four-game series at Durham Bulls Athletic Park.
Scoring Recap: The Stripers took a 1-0 lead in the fourth inning on a long drive down the left field line by Duvall (32) off Josh Fleming. Durham tied it at 1-1 in the bottom of the fourth on an RBI double by Emilio Bonifacio, but Gwinnett moved back ahead in the fifth as Drew Waters (2) belted a line drive homer to left off Fleming. Jonathan Morales extended the lead to 3-1 with an RBI single in the sixth. The Bulls made it a one-run game on an RBI single by Mac James in the seventh, but drew no closer as Caleb Thielbar (S, 5) pitched 2.0 scoreless innings.
Stripers Stats: Wright (W, 11-4) became the first International League pitcher to reach the 11-win mark this season as he held the Bulls to two runs on six hits, walked three, and struck out nine over 7.0 innings. Thielbar, acquired by Atlanta earlier in the day via trade with Detroit, struck out two over 2.0 innings in his Stripers debut. Duvall went 2-for-3 with a triple, homer, and one RBI, Waters went 1-for-5 with a homer and one RBI, and Morales went 3-for-4 with one RBI.
Bulls Stats: Brendan McKay started and struck out eight over 3.0 scoreless, one-hit innings. Fleming (L, 1-3) yielded three runs on seven hits over 3.2 innings. James went 2-for-4 with one RBI, and Bonifacio went 1-for-3 with a double and one RBI.
Postgame Notes: Wright is 8-0 with a 2.57 ERA in his last 12 starts with Gwinnett since June 14. Duvall's solo homer drove in his 93rd RBI of the season, giving him Gwinnett's single-season RBI record (Ernesto Mejia had previous record of 92 RBIs in 2012). Ryan LaMarre went 2-for-5 to extend his on-base streak to 34 games, the IL's longest active streak. Johan Camargo went 0-for-4, snapping his 16-game hitting streak.
Next Game (Sunday, September 1): Gwinnett at Durham, 5:05 p.m. at Durham Bulls Athletic Park. RHP Touki Toussaint (1-5, 7.71 ERA) for the Stripers vs. RHP Aaron Slegers (5-7, 5.30 ERA) for the Bulls. Radio Broadcast: 4:50 p.m. on 97.7 and 93.5 FM "The Other Side of the River."
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Knights Back Atop Wild Card Race with 5-2 Win - Charlotte Knights
- Mets Lose to Red Wings, 5-3, on Saturday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Pigs Power Past PawSox - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- RailRiders Top Bisons, 9-4, with Katoh's Slam - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Down Tides, 5-2 - Norfolk Tides
- Stripers Hang on to Beat Durham 3-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Tribe Clipped by Columbus in Home Finale - Indianapolis Indians
- Stripers Clip Bulls in 3-2 Decision - Durham Bulls
- Wings Take Second Straight against Mets - Rochester Red Wings
- Katoh's slam provides big lift for offense in RailRiders victory over Bisons - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Gutierrez Strikes out 13 as Bats Win Final Road Game, 2-1 - Louisville Bats
- Hens Fall to Bats in Season Series Finale - Toledo Mud Hens
- Four Homers Push Pigs Past PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Final Homestand Continues Sunday with Fireworks - Rochester Red Wings
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (6:35 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (65-72) vs. Columbus Clippers (78-59) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (57-80) at Toledo Mud Hens (66-71) - Louisville Bats
- Cronenworth Headlines 2019 Goodmon Award Recipients - Durham Bulls
- Chavis Belts Two More Homers, PawSox Split Double Dip - Pawtucket Red Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gwinnett Stripers Stories
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce National Anthem Auditions
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce 2020 Promotions Schedule
- Reigning IL Manager of the Year Damon Berryhill Returns to Gwinnett
- Gwinnett Stripers to Debut "Thirsty Thursday" in 2020
- Gwinnett Stripers Accepting Grant Applications for 2020