Gutierrez Strikes out 13 as Bats Win Final Road Game, 2-1
TOLEDO, Ohio - The Louisville Bats (58-80) defeated the Toledo Mud Hens (66-72) on Saturday night at Fifth Third Field to earn a series split. In the Bats' final road game of the season, Vladimir Gutierrez tied a team-high 13 strikeouts en route to a 2-1 Louisville victory.
Gutierrez was not superb right out of the gate, allowing a run to cross in the bottom of the first when Jeimer Candelario's RBI single scored Daz Cameron. Gutierrez hit Cameron by a pitch to start the game, with the outfielder advancing to second base on a throwing error by Gutierrez on a pickoff attempt.
After the first inning, Gutierrez was spectacular, allowing just the one unearned run on three hits, walking three and striking out a career-high 13 in 6.0 innings of work. The right-hander threw 102 pitches and 67 strikes, as he recorded his sixth win in what will likely be his final appearance of 2019.
Louisville leadoff hitter Jose Peraza went 3-for-4 in his second game since being optioned, batting .625 (5-for-8) with the Bats. Louisville tied the game 1-1 in the second inning when Narciso Crook's RBI double scored Nick Ciuffo, and took the lead when Peraza knocked in Blake Trahan with a single.
Bats relievers Junichi Tazawa and Alex Powers combined for 3.0 scoreless innings out of the bullpen, with Tazawa making his Louisville debut. Powers recorded his second career Triple-A save.
Louisville Slugger Field will play host to the Bats and Indianapolis Indians for the regular season's final two days on Sunday and Monday, with right-hander Tejay Antone (3-8, 4.87) set to go for Louisville and the Indians yet to announce their starting pitcher.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Knights Back Atop Wild Card Race with 5-2 Win - Charlotte Knights
- Mets Lose to Red Wings, 5-3, on Saturday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Pigs Power Past PawSox - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- RailRiders Top Bisons, 9-4, with Katoh's Slam - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Down Tides, 5-2 - Norfolk Tides
- Stripers Hang on to Beat Durham 3-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Tribe Clipped by Columbus in Home Finale - Indianapolis Indians
- Stripers Clip Bulls in 3-2 Decision - Durham Bulls
- Wings Take Second Straight against Mets - Rochester Red Wings
- Katoh's slam provides big lift for offense in RailRiders victory over Bisons - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Gutierrez Strikes out 13 as Bats Win Final Road Game, 2-1 - Louisville Bats
- Hens Fall to Bats in Season Series Finale - Toledo Mud Hens
- Four Homers Push Pigs Past PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Final Homestand Continues Sunday with Fireworks - Rochester Red Wings
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (6:35 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (65-72) vs. Columbus Clippers (78-59) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (57-80) at Toledo Mud Hens (66-71) - Louisville Bats
- Cronenworth Headlines 2019 Goodmon Award Recipients - Durham Bulls
- Chavis Belts Two More Homers, PawSox Split Double Dip - Pawtucket Red Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.