Matthew Weis Named ECHL Player of the Week
PRINCETON, N.J. - South Carolina Stingrays forward Matthew Weis has been named the Inglasco ECHL Player of the Week for May 10-16. It is the second time in his career that he has received the league's weekly honor, previously earning it on Feb. 18, 2020.
Weis scored three goals and added four assists for seven points in four games last week.
The 25-year-old had an assist in a 3-1 win against Indy on Tuesday, picked up three assists in a 5-4 victory over the Fuel on Wednesday, notched a goal in a 3-2 loss at Jacksonville on Friday and tallied a pair of goals in a 4-2 win against the Icemen on Saturday.
Under contract to Hershey of the American Hockey League, Weis has 23 points (8g, 15a) in 30 games with the Stingrays this season while also suiting up in two games for the Bears.
A native of Freehold, New Jersey, Weis has totaled 71 points (21g, 50a) in 75 career ECHL games with South Carolina and Fort Wayne and 11 points (3g, 8a) in 68 career AHL games with Hershey and Chicago.
Prior to turning pro, Weis recorded 122 points (40g, 82a) in 136 career games at Ohio State University and 112 points (42g, 70a) in 141 career games with Green Bay of the United States Hockey League.
On behalf of Weis, a case of pucks will be donated to the Charleston Youth Hockey Association by Inglasco, the exclusive puck supplier of the ECHL. Since beginning its sponsorship of the award in 2000-01, Inglasco has donated more than 43,000 pucks to youth hockey organizations in ECHL cities.
The Stingrays return to action this week when they travel to Orlando for a 3-in-3 series against the Solar Bears beginning Friday night at 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from May 18, 2021
- Icemen Gain Ground in Standings with 2-1 Win over Orlando - Jacksonville Icemen
- Spencer scores for Orlando in 2-1 loss at Jacksonville - Orlando Solar Bears
- Naples Native Solow Signs with Everblades - Florida Everblades
- Iowa ECHL Announces Inaugural Season Schedule - Iowa Heartlanders
- Stewart Loaned to Bakersfield - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Sign Mason Mannek - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - May 18 - ECHL
- Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Fuel Receive Two from the AHL - Indy Fuel
- Saturday, May 22 Is Alzheimer's Awareness Night at BOK Center - Tulsa Oilers
- Swamp Rabbits Regain Shawn Cameron from Utica - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Parker Gahagen Named ECHL Goaltender of the Week in Back-To-Back Weeks - Utah Grizzlies
- Utah's Gahagen Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Icemen, May 18, 2021 - Jacksonville Icemen
- Boka Loaned to Ontario - Fort Wayne Komets
- Matthew Weis Named ECHL Player of the Week - South Carolina Stingrays
- South Carolina's Weis Named Inglasco/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Americans Dominate Mavericks 7-2 - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.