Mariners Sign Former Bruins Goaltender Toivonen
PORTLAND, ME - The Mariners have signed veteran goaltender Hannu Toivonen, the team announced on Thursday. The 34-year-old netminder most notably played for the Boston Bruins between 2005 and 2007. He's played in Europe since 2014.
Toivonen is a native of Kalvola, Finland and was drafted by the Bruins in 2002, 29th overall. After two seasons in the AHL with Providence, Toivonen made his NHL debut in 2005-06, appearing in 20 games that season with a 9-5-4 record and a 2.63 GAA. He split the 06-07 season between Boston and Providence and then was traded to St. Louis prior to the 07-08 season. He played a career high 23 NHL games with the Blues, but found himself back in the AHL with Peoria and eventually Rockford in the Chicago Blackhawks organization.
In 2012-13, Toivonen made his ECHL debut when he signed with the Orlando Solar Bears. He played the following season with the Toledo Walleye. After three successful seasons in the Finish Elite League (SM-Liiga), posting GAAs below 2.65, he spent last season playing in Austria and Denmark.
The Mariners have back to back home games tonight and tomorrow night at the Cross Insurance Arena. Manchester is in town tonight at 7:00 PM. The Mariners also host Worcester on Friday, December 28th at 7:15 PM for a 1-2-3 Friday, Nickelodeon Takeover Night, and First Responders Night. Tickets can be purchased at MarinersOfMaine.com or by calling 207-775-3458.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 27, 2018
- Sakellaropoulos Released from PTO - Adirondack Thunder
- Dufour Stays Hot, Fuel Snap Nailers Point Streak - Indy Fuel
- Tulsa Blanked by Wichita - Tulsa Oilers
- Florida's Quick Start Leads to an Everblades' 5-2 Win in Atlanta - Atlanta Gladiators
- Wings Clipped 2-1 by Komets - Kalamazoo Wings
- Third Period Surge Overcomes IceMen - Jacksonville IceMen
- Ronning Kills Monarchs Again as Mariners Win Fourth Straight - Maine Mariners
- Nailers Point Streak Ends at Nine - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Suffer Holiday Hangover in 4-3 Loss to Mariners - Manchester Monarchs
- Solar Bears Acquire Defenseman Kevin Lohan from Walleye - Orlando Solar Bears
- Walleye Add to Tonight's Roster - Toledo Walleye
- Mariners Deal Stork to Wichita - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - December 27 - ECHL
- Mario Culina Takes Leave to Focus on Education - Newfoundland Growlers
- Stingrays to Host 'First Responders Night' March 30 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Thunder Heads to OK to Face Oilers - Wichita Thunder
- Mariners Sign Former Bruins Goaltender Toivonen - Maine Mariners
- Nailers at Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, December 27 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Day, Gropp Recalled to Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Game Day: Another Busy Weekend Kicks off in Fort Wayne - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.