Late Aces rally dooms River Cats in series opener
RENO, Nev. - The Sacramento River Cats (64-58) dropped game one of a crucial four-game set with the division rival Reno Aces (58-64) by a final score of 6-5. The River Cats now lead the Pacific Northern division by six games over the Aces and by nine over the Fresno Grizzlies with 18 games remaining.
Reno jumped out to a 4-1 lead after taking advantage of two Sacramento errors in the second inning, but the River Cats would crawl back. Shortstop Mauricio Dubon's two-run single in the third cut their deficit down to one, and outfielder Joe McCarthy's RBI single tied the game an inning later. Then, second baseman Abiatal Avelino crushed a solo shot in the sixth to put his club ahead by one on what was their fourth unanswered run.
But in the bottom of the seventh, left-hander Sam Selman was one out from escaping a jam when Aces outfielder Jamie Westbrook doubled home a pair of runs. Sacramento's offense was shut down in the final three frames as the Reno staff retired ten in a row to close out the ballgame.
It will be left-hander Conner Menez (2-0, 4.06) on the bump for Sacramento looking to even the series while Reno will send righty RHP Taylor Clarke (3-1, 6.63) to the mound. First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m. (PT). Listen to all of the action live online at rivercats.com, on the MiLB First Pitch app, and on Money 105.5 FM.
Abiatal Avelino, alongside hitting his 11th homer of the year, stole his 15th base to lead the team. It's the fifth consecutive season in which a River Cats player has stolen at least 15 bases. Utility man Chase d'Arnaud led the club in 2018 with 15.
Outfielder Jaylin Davis hit his third homer since joining the River Cats 11 games ago. In 12 games total, Davis has 15 hits, eight of which have gone for extra bases. All three of his homers have come on the road so far.
The Sacramento River Cats are the Triple-A affiliate of the three-time World Champion -San Francisco Giants. The team plays at Raley Field in West Sacramento, consistently voted one of the top ballparks in America. Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, and Flex Plans can be purchased for the River Cats' 20th season by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). The only place to guarantee official River Cats tickets is at www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 16, 2019
- Express Throws Dodgers Off the Tracks - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Cruise to Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Strong Pitching Not Enough as Missions Doubled up by Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Woodford Gives up One Hit in 6.0 Innings to Lead 8-2 Redbirds Win - Memphis Redbirds
- 'Cakes Make It Four in a Row - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Round Rock Steamrolls Oklahoma City 13-3 on Hall of Fame Night - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Rally for Win in Front of Sellout Crowd - Nashville Sounds
- Chihuahuas Unveil GECU Bark at the Park Jerseys - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Game Notes vs. Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (54-66) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (52-70) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 16, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (56-66) vs Iowa Cubs (66-56) - Memphis Redbirds
- Coming up Short Once Again - San Antonio Missions
- Aviators' Rally Falls Short in 9-6 Loss to Albuquerque - Las Vegas Aviators
- Tacoma rains on Grizzlies' homer parade - Fresno Grizzlies
- Late Aces rally dooms River Cats in series opener - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes Open Road Trip in Win Column - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Brugman Drives Home Three Including Game-Winner as Tacoma Takes Homestand Opener - Tacoma Rainiers
- Westbrook's Clutch Gene Carries Aces to Victory - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas Continue Dominance of Salt Lake - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Chihuahuas Take Game 1 - Salt Lake Bees
- Dodgers Kept in Station by Express - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- River Cats to Host Annual Preseason Party this Sunday
- River Cats Renew Partnership with FanCompass, Seek to Enhance Fan Engagement
- River Cats to Host Job Fairs January 25 and February 8
- Dave Brundage Returns as River Cats Manager to Defend Title in 2020
- USA Softball Team to Visit Sutter Health Park in Tune-Up for Olympics