Brugman Drives Home Three Including Game-Winner as Tacoma Takes Homestand Opener
Tacoma, WA - Jaycob Brugman belted a game-tying two-run home run, and drove in what would turn out to be the game-winning run in the seventh inning as the Tacoma Rainiers took the homestand opener against the Fresno Grizzlies on Thursday, 8-4.
After Brugman's two-run homer knotted the score in the bottom of the sixth, the 27-year-old drove in center fielder Jake Fraley with the bases loaded in the following inning to give the Rainiers a one-run lead. Catcher Joe Odom added an insurance run with an RBI single that scored right fielder Eric Filia, furthering Tacoma's lead to two.
Fraley pounded a first-inning leadoff home run for the first run of the game. The outfielder went 3-for-3 on Thursday in his second game back with the Rainiers after spending a week on the Injured List.
Right-hander Darren McCaughan made the start for Tacoma and tossed the first four innings of scoreless baseball before being charged with three Fresno (55-67) runs across the following two frames. The 23-year-old turned in a quality performance, allowing all three runs off solo home runs in his six innings of work.
Altavilla, who had his Major League rehab assignment transferred from Short Season-A Everett pregame, pitched a scoreless seventh with a pair of strikeouts.
In the bottom of the eighth, Filia singled home John Andreoli for a three-run advantage, and infielder Ryan Court followed with a two-run blast, giving the Rainiers their biggest lead of the night.
Darin Gillies took over on the mound in the eighth and went 2/3 of an inning with a pair of strikeouts before handing the ball to Matt Festa, who left two inherited runners stranded. The right-hander closed out the contest with a one-run ninth frame.
The Rainiers will continue the four-gamer against the Fresno Grizzlies on Friday during Tacoma's third annual We R Hi-Voltage Night. Tacoma will roll out southpaw Anthony Misiewicz (6-6, 6.21) for a 7:05 p.m. PDT start, with post-game Friday Night Fireworks, presented by BECU. Mike Curto will have full coverage on South Sound Talk 850 with audio streaming available on the Tacoma Rainiers TuneIn Radio Network.
All tickets, group outings, and suites packages for the 2019 season are available for purchase in person at the Cheney Stadium Box Office, online at TacomaRainiers.com, or over the phone at (253) 752-7707. The most up-to-date news and notes about the Rainiers throughout the season can be found by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand), on Instagram (@tacomarainiers), or by liking the team on Facebook.
Images from this story
Jaycob Brugman of the Tacoma Rainiers
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 16, 2019
- Express Throws Dodgers Off the Tracks - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Cruise to Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Strong Pitching Not Enough as Missions Doubled up by Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Woodford Gives up One Hit in 6.0 Innings to Lead 8-2 Redbirds Win - Memphis Redbirds
- 'Cakes Make It Four in a Row - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Round Rock Steamrolls Oklahoma City 13-3 on Hall of Fame Night - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Rally for Win in Front of Sellout Crowd - Nashville Sounds
- Chihuahuas Unveil GECU Bark at the Park Jerseys - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Game Notes vs. Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (54-66) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (52-70) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 16, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (56-66) vs Iowa Cubs (66-56) - Memphis Redbirds
- Coming up Short Once Again - San Antonio Missions
- Aviators' Rally Falls Short in 9-6 Loss to Albuquerque - Las Vegas Aviators
- Tacoma rains on Grizzlies' homer parade - Fresno Grizzlies
- Late Aces rally dooms River Cats in series opener - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes Open Road Trip in Win Column - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Brugman Drives Home Three Including Game-Winner as Tacoma Takes Homestand Opener - Tacoma Rainiers
- Westbrook's Clutch Gene Carries Aces to Victory - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas Continue Dominance of Salt Lake - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Chihuahuas Take Game 1 - Salt Lake Bees
- Dodgers Kept in Station by Express - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Rainiers Stories
- Brugman Homers One Last Time, Rainiers Fall to Las Vegas in Season Finale
- Nolin Strikes out 11, Rainiers Drop Sunday Night Match-Up against Aviators
- Misiewicz Dominant to Propel Rainiers to Second-Straight Win in Las Vegas
- Andreoli Racks up Four Hits, Brugman Knocks in Game-Winner for Rainiers
- Brugman Plates Four, Rainiers Drop Series Finale to Fresno