Chihuahuas Take Game 1
The El Paso Chihuahuas used 19 hits to beat the Salt Lake Bees 13-2 on Thursday night.
After the Chihuahuas hit back-to-back doubles and a home run with two outs in the top of the first inning, the Bees plated two runs of their own in the bottom of the frame from an inside-the-park home run by Michael Hermosillo to cut the lead 3-2.
In the fourth frame, El Paso heated up at the plate and used seven hits to plate six runs to grow the lead to 9-2. The Chihuahuas remained hot, scoring three runs in the sixth and one run in the seventh to go up 13-2. The Bees offense was held scoreless for eight straight innings and could not take advantage of scoring opportunities as they went 1-for-11 with runners in scoring position.
Jaime Barria (3-3) made the start for Salt Lake and was tagged with the loss as he surrendered nine runs on 12 hits in four innings pitched. Barria was relieved by Matt Ball, who allowed four runs on six hits over three innings pitched. Adam McCreery came in the ninth inning tossed a scoreless frame. Hermosillo led the Bees bats as he 1-for-4 with a home run and two RBI. After going 2-for-2 with three walks in the contest, Taylor Ward has reached base safely in his last 25 home games.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 16, 2019
- Express Throws Dodgers Off the Tracks - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Cruise to Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Strong Pitching Not Enough as Missions Doubled up by Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Woodford Gives up One Hit in 6.0 Innings to Lead 8-2 Redbirds Win - Memphis Redbirds
- 'Cakes Make It Four in a Row - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Round Rock Steamrolls Oklahoma City 13-3 on Hall of Fame Night - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Rally for Win in Front of Sellout Crowd - Nashville Sounds
- Chihuahuas Unveil GECU Bark at the Park Jerseys - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Game Notes vs. Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (54-66) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (52-70) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 16, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (56-66) vs Iowa Cubs (66-56) - Memphis Redbirds
- Coming up Short Once Again - San Antonio Missions
- Aviators' Rally Falls Short in 9-6 Loss to Albuquerque - Las Vegas Aviators
- Tacoma rains on Grizzlies' homer parade - Fresno Grizzlies
- Late Aces rally dooms River Cats in series opener - Sacramento River Cats
- Isotopes Open Road Trip in Win Column - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Brugman Drives Home Three Including Game-Winner as Tacoma Takes Homestand Opener - Tacoma Rainiers
- Westbrook's Clutch Gene Carries Aces to Victory - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas Continue Dominance of Salt Lake - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Chihuahuas Take Game 1 - Salt Lake Bees
- Dodgers Kept in Station by Express - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.